• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions re Bail and Incarceration for Non Payment of Child Support in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sepia1065

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi I am new to all of this so I hope someone can help me.
My BF got arrested yesterday and is being held at the county jail. He is charged with:
CONTEMPT OF COURT / NON PAYMENT OF CHILD SUPPORT
FAIL TO MAINTAIN FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
SPEEDING
EXPIRED LIC PLATE
NO VALID TX REGISTRATION

In total his Bond amount is $3,851. $2,500 of that is a cash only bond for the Non Payment of Child Support. We do not have $3,851 nor can we borrow it from anyone. I tried calling a bail bond company and was told that they do not do Child Support cases nor can they help with cash only bonds. My questions are:

1)Do we have any other options for paying the total bond amount?
2)How long will he have to remain in jail?

For background purposes, he has not been steadily employed for the past two years because of the crappy economy. He was a high school teacher but was laid off and has taken any other job he can over the past 2 years. He just got laid off from his most recent job a month ago. Whenever he worked, money was taken from his paycheck to satisfy his child support payments but he is severely behind in any case. He has a master's degree and has the children 40% of the time. I appreciate any help you can give me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

My BF got arrested yesterday and is being held at the county jail. He is charged with:
SPEEDING
EXPIRED LIC PLATE
NO VALID TX REGISTRATION

In total his Bond amount is $3,851. $2,500 of that is a cash only bond for the Non Payment of Child Support. We do not have $3,851 nor can we borrow it from anyone. I tried calling a bail bond company and was told that they do not do Child Support cases nor can they help with cash only bonds. My questions are:

For background purposes, he has not been steadily employed for the past two years because of the crappy economy. He was a high school teacher but was laid off and has taken any other job he can over the past 2 years. He just got laid off from his most recent job a month ago. Whenever he worked, money was taken from his paycheck to satisfy his child support payments but he is severely behind in any case. He has a master's degree and has the children 40% of the time. I appreciate any help you can give me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
1 ~ The only option is to pay the purge (the bond amout).

Silverplum

SPEEDING
EXPIRED LIC PLATE
NO VALID TX REGISTRATION

I'm surprised he can't use a computer. I'm surprised, given his level of education and his field, that he did not take care of his personal business. I'm surprised that he allowed himself to get into this situation.

Last edited:

Sepia1065

He can use a computer and although those comments seem funny to you they are of no help to me. I do not believe "all" people who fall behind in child support do it willingly and he is in this position because of a series of unfortunate events including a recession and depression.

Silverplum

He can use a computer and although those comments seem funny to you they are of no help to me. I do not believe "all" people who fall behind in child support do it willingly and he is in this position because of a series of unfortunate events including a recession and depression.
I wasn't being funny at all.

I find it hard to believe that a teacher with a masters is stupid enough to get into this position.

I find it entirely unfunny that he chose to not support his children.

Sepia1065

I wasn't being funny at all.

I find it hard to believe that a teacher with a masters is stupid enough to get into this position.

I find it entirely unfunny that he chose to not support his children.
He supports his kids but has fallen behind. He pays for all the cloths and food they have when they are with him the 3 days of the week. His child support payments were based on his salary when he was working at a professional level NOT at the lower level/pay scale he has had in the past two years. Getting child support modified to a lower level is very hard and he has not been able to do it. His ex-Wife is wealthy and has hired very good attorneys while he has had to represent himself. In his last court appearance he had to sell all of his belongings including his bed to pay his child support payments. Life and many of it's problems, as I'm sure you all know, are not always black and white. Many smart people have written about the absurdity and unfairness of the current child support laws.

Sigh I was looking for help not a lecture or judgement from people who do not know all of the facts.

CSO286

He supports his kids but has fallen behind. He pays for all the cloths and food they have when they are with him the 3 days of the week. His child support payments were based on his salary when he was working at a professional level NOT at the lower level/pay scale he has had in the past two years. Getting child support modified to a lower level is very hard and he has not been able to do it. His ex-Wife is wealthy and has hired very good attorneys while he has had to represent himself. In his last court appearance he had to sell all of his belongings including his bed to pay his child support payments. Life and many of it's problems, as I'm sure you all know, are not always black and white. Many smart people have written about the absurdity and unfairness of the current child support laws.

Sigh I was looking for help not a lecture or judgement from people who do not know all of the facts.
Then why didn't request a reduction or file for one on his own when he was laid off/had a significant reduction in income?

Do tell me what is absurd or unfair about the current child support laws...I'm dying to know.
I'd be happy to tell you what I find absurd and unfair about our current child support system....

Last edited:

Silverplum

He supports his kids but has fallen behind. He pays for all the cloths and food they have when they are with him the 3 days of the week.
That's not the same as paying child support. And Mom is buying the food and clothing while the children are at her house 4 days a week, right? Not a wash, and not an excuse.

Sepia1065 said:
His child support payments were based on his salary when he was working at a professional level NOT at the lower level/pay scale he has had in the past two years. Getting child support modified to a lower level is very hard and he has not been able to do it.
It's a matter of filing and arguing his case. If he wasn't voluntarily unemployed, it should have been lowered.

Sepia1065 said:
His ex-Wife is wealthy and has hired very good attorneys while he has had to represent himself. In his last court appearance he had to sell all of his belongings including his bed to pay his child support payments.
I am not surprised.

Where do his children sleep when at Dad's house?

Sepia1065 said:
Life and many of it's problems, as I'm sure you all know, are not always black and white. Many smart people have written about the absurdity and unfairness of the current child support laws.
Many smart and good people have written about the absurdity and unfairness of ditching one's own children to flounder about without help.

Sepia1065 said:
What more does anyone need to know?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Maybe if he weren't speeding while driving with expired plates and registration he wouldn't have been caught in the first place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">