• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear Ended By Someone When Driving Uber Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Because the OP doesn't have comprehensive, it's a safe bet that he also doesn't have collision (unfortunately).

quantcook

Your beef is with the driver. I suggest you get an estimate for the repair, fill out a small claims complaint form, and attach both to a letter demanding payment, giving a deadline date, after which you will file suit.

Then hope she is smart enough to turn it over to her insurance company.

If you get no response, sue in Baltimore City. When you get the judgment there is a process in Georgia courts where you can register the judgment with the court so you can enforce the judgment in Georgia by garnishing wages, levying bank accounts, etc.

If you want to avoid the hassle, use your collision coverage (if you have it and you didn't have a passenger at the time) and your insurance company will go after the driver for reimbursement and refund your deductible when it gets the money.
ok. i guess that will be the ultimate solution then.
i just wonder what's the normal practice, go with uber's insurance and claim from them, let them claim from defendent?

doucar

If you want to pay the deductible and hope the insurance company recovers from her and wait to be paid back, then go ahead.

Zigner

ok. i guess that will be the ultimate solution then.
i just wonder what's the normal practice, go with uber's insurance and claim from them, let them claim from defendent?
How much damage is there (in dollars)?

zddoodah

My own insurance is not comprehensive and has deductible.
Huh? What you need is collision coverage, not comprehensive. Both collision and comprehensive coverage typically have a deductible, and it makes no sense to say you have a deductible but DON'T have those coverages.

What shall I do now? I only have her driver ID copy and a police report info.
Shall I go ahead to file a court case ? will that be in Baltimore City or Georgia?
The other driver should have been cited for failing to provide proof of insurance, and you should have the other driver's contact information. Contact the other driver and demand insurance info. Also contact the cop who issued the police report to see if the other driver has provided insurance information in order to discharge the citation he should have received. You CAN properly sue where the accident happened or where the defendant lives. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

Doesn't matter. Your insurance doesn't cover you or your car for anything while carrying passengers for hire. Did you know that?
Normal personal auto coverage won't provide such coverage, but it certainly is possible to buy such coverage (although it seems the OP didn't).

adjusterjack

Normal personal auto coverage won't provide such coverage, but it certainly is possible to buy such coverage (although it seems the OP didn't).
Progressive and possibly several other companies (I haven't looked) offer an endorsement to a personal auto policy that provides ride sharing coverage for Uber and Lyft type drivers.

Rideshare Insurance Coverage | Progressive

Looks like a must have considering all the holes in Uber's insurance.

quantcook

thanks for all replied. thinking about press charge against the driver now.
my question is, since the driver lives in GA, when I file a case in Baltimore city district court, how do I need to serve the notice to Georgia?
Do I have to contact the county police / sheriff in GA myself to deliver the notice or Baltimore city district court clerk can help me arrange from this end.
thanks

zddoodah

thinking about press charge against the driver now.
my question is, since the driver lives in GA, when I file a case in Baltimore city district court, how do I need to serve the notice to Georgia?
You cannot press charges. If there are criminal charges to be filed, that's up to the DA/prosecutor. All you can do is file a civil lawsuit. If you do so without retaining an attorney, you'll need to read the rules of civil procedure for the jurisdiction where you file the case. Typically, you would hire a process server or the sheriff in the county where service is to be effected. However, local rules can vary greatly.

Zigner

thanks for all replied. thinking about press charge against the driver now.
Do I have to contact the county police / sheriff in GA myself to deliver the notice or Baltimore city district court clerk can help me arrange from this end.
thanks
You're not pressing charges by filing a lawsuit. The other party will need to be served in accordance with Maryland law and court rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">