• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear Ended on Freeway @ Dead Stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kollsc

What is the name of your state? Arizona (Accident October 6, 2004)

I was at a dead stop on a freeway due to traffic. The at-fault party didn’t see that our lane was stopped until she moved into our lane and rear ended me. Police report estimates her speed at 35 mph.. I am confident she was moving more like 40-45 upon impact.

She shoved my Grand Cherokee into the truck in front of me and then them into the car in front of them. 4 vehicles in total; 3 had to be towed away. My SUV was totaled by my insurance company. They paid off my loan - total pay out of around $17,500.

Oh, did I forget to mention .. of course .. she has NO INSURANCE.

I and one of the girls in the at-fault vehicle (89 blazer) were transported to the hospital. I was immobilized and transported to the hospital via ambulance. I had a 5" gash in my leg and other bruises and abrasions. My leg had to be sewn up, x-rays were taken, my head had an abrasion. Although I was belted in - the impact was so strong that my seat broke loose from the floorboard and the back of the seat busted.

I missed only 1 day work but had a few months of Chiro treatments, etc. My medical expenses were $8,000. My medical coverage on my auto policy covered $5,000 and my group medical through work covered the remaining $3,000.

I am left with a 5" x 1/2" scar on my leg; a round scar a little larger than a quarter; and an area on my lower leg about the size of a softball that is still numb 7 months after the accident.

Now my insurance company is trying to settle my pain and suffering portion from my uninsured motorist coverage. They first offered my $12k .. I said no, they moved to $13k .. again I said no .. now they are at $14k and will not budge from there. I don’t know if the scars will ever get any better .. I will have to live with them for the rest of my life .. and they are rather dark in color. My leg is still numb 7 months later and I don’t know if it will ever heal. My insurance company says we can wait 7 years to see if it heals .. and if it does, my settlement would be less .. or I can take their offer of $14k.

They tell me that even if I would have lost my leg, my total coverage is $25k and they would not pay more than that - no matter what.

I am told that I will have to pay my group medical provider back the $3k that they paid since they have no recourse against the uninsured at-fault party. Is this true ??

If I pay them back the $3k that leaves me with only $11k and it just don’t seem like enough given the facts.

Thoughts ?? Opinions ?? Comparable settlement values ??

Thanks !
- Confused.

teflon_jones

The only person that can answer if this settlement is ok is you. If you're not happy, ask for more, but without concrete documentation from a doctor as to what permanent injuries you've suffered, and how they're going to affect your life, you're not going to get anything else.

If I were you, I'd take their offer and move on. Fighting this isn't worth your time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Oh, boloney. Hire a personal injury attorney and take this into U.M. Arbitration. Your insurance company is low-balling you. For injuries such as yours, I typically obtain "Policy Limits".

IAAL

teflon_jones

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Oh, boloney. Hire a personal injury attorney and take this into U.M. Arbitration. Your insurance company is low-balling you. For injuries such as yours, I typically obtain "Policy Limits".

IAAL
Hiring a PI attorney will cost the poster 1/3 of the settlement, so even if they get the full $25k that'll only leave them with $16750, or $2750 more than they're offering now. And it'll take a lot of time and effort, and there's no guarantee the PI attorney will get the full $25K. I just don't think it's worth it personally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">