• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received ticket for a "No Standing 7-4 school days"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zoey1234

I received a ticket for "parking" in FRONT of a school. There is a red sign with the words "No parking 7am-4pm school days with an arrow pointing both ways. I am on the same side as this sign, but not in front of the school and on the other side of a driveway in front of another building. The street sign for where I was parking has a "no standing between 8:30-10 Tuesdays for street cleaning". I got the ticket at 2:18 pm. The ticket says I'm actually parking in front of the school building. When I got out to my car, there was a black truck parked right under that sign with no ticket, yet mine got one.

I took pictures and videos from every possible angle. Any chance I can actually fight this thing?

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh yeah, I know. But the same side also had a sign which said I could park there after 10 on Tuesdays. I've parked there 10000x and never had a problem. So I'm really confused now
There's no parking on school days from 7am to 4pm and there's no standing on Tuesdays from 8:30 to 10. I don't see that as confusing.

ETA: The sign did NOT say that you could park there after 10 on Tuesdays. The sign only tells you a specific time period when no standing is allowed. The no parking restriction still applies. "Parking" and "standing" are not the same thing.

ETA Again: What US state are we talking about here?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why did you ignore the question asking you your state?

The fact that someone else may have gotten away without a ticket does NOT invalidate yours and is not a defense or justification.

Zoey1234

There's no parking on school days from 7am to 4pm and there's no standing on Tuesdays from 8:30 to 10. I don't see that as confusing.

ETA: The sign did NOT say that you could park there after 10 on Tuesdays. The sign only tells you a specific time period when no standing is allowed. The no parking restriction still applies. "Parking" and "standing" are not the same thing.

ETA Again: What US state are we talking about here?
I guess since I've been parking in that area for 2 years and have never seen or heard of a ticket given out.

And I'm sorry, I didn't see where you asked what state. New York.

Zoey1234

Why did you ignore the question asking you your state?

The fact that someone else may have gotten away without a ticket does NOT invalidate yours and is not a defense or justification.

I didn't see a question asking what state. I'm in New York. And you're right. I'm just saying I've never seen it happen in the 2 years I'm working over there. Im trying to understand, that's all.

HighwayMan

In New York only one parking sign is required for the entire block. Was this NYC? If so then it doesn't sound like there is any chance of you winning.

Zoey1234

In New York only one parking sign is required for the entire block. Was this NYC? If so then it doesn't sound like there is any chance of you winning.
In Brooklyn actually.

Well there's 2 different ones on the block. 2 of them are on either side of the school, those the the ones that say no parking from 8:30-10 Tuesdays for street cleaning. The schools kind of in the middle of the block with their own sign covering end to end of the school with the "no parking 7-4 on school days sign". The rest of the block has always been fair game to my knowledge. But you're probably right I doubt I'll win.

HighwayMan

Now that I'm thinking about it...

As far I know a parking restriction affects curbside parking from the sign to either the end of the block or the next regulatory sign. If the restriction for the school parking was the entire block those signs should have also been mounted along with the street cleaning signs, so maybe you do have a chance.

It doesn't cost you anything to fight the ticket so I would give it a try. Just present your case clearly with your photos and maybe draw a picture showing the placement of the signs and the exact wording and arrows on each.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">