• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieved only check stub for last check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phoenix1751

What is the name of your state? Tennessee I recently quit my job for another. My employer kept my final check and only gave me the check stub saying the money was withheld to cover my health insurance and that I still owed them $324 dollars more for the insurance.I quit the first week of the month and they pay the insurance the first week of the month. They say the insurance carrier won't let them cancel the insurance till the end of the month and I am now responsible for the remaining days in the month. They were paying about 50% of the cost of the insurance with me paying the remainder. They say the companys obligation ended with the last day worked and I owe them the full cost of the insurance. Can they legally do this and am I responsible for the insurance at the full price.

pattytx

You should be able to request, if you don't already have it, a copy of the SPD (Summary Plan Document) for the company health plan. They are required to have one. It should address this situation.

BTW, I've never heard of a company refusing to pay their promised portion if the employee left before the end of the month. Sounds kind of fishy to me, but I can't say that it is illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">