• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording TV shows

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emmyjt

What is the name of your state? TX

A friend of mine, who lives in TX, has offered in a public forum (an internet chat group) to make copies of a specific TV show's episodes and charge a nominal fee ($5-$8) to cover the cost of the disks, cases, time and postage. Is this legal?

emmyjt

justalayman said:
Did you really need to ask this?
I'm sorry if my ignorance offended you. If I didn't need to ask, I wouldn't have. Unlike you, I don't know everything about everything.

justalayman

Didn't mean to offend you either.

It's just that this subject and many very similar have been in the media to such a great extent that most people could come to the conclusion that it is illegal. I realize you are probably just seeking confirmations of your suspicions or you would not have asked.

So here you go :

No it is not illegal to offer to do it.
Yes it is illegal to actually do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">