• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recouping Unnecessary Expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul Mac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca
My divorce is at the ending stages were we split up our retirement accounts. My ex’s side requested all my account info which I handed over to the QDRO accountant. I proceeded to request my ex’s account info (401K, IRA, Roth, etc..) and I received a letter from her attorney stating that her retirement was all depleted during the time of marriage and they would turn over nothing. I know for a fact it was not depleted, I was there. I sent copies of her statements through out the marriage period (showing a steady increase in value) , via my attorney, and still no response. My only choice was to subpoena her account info, which I did and this cost me approximately $1000 not including attorneys fees. This was 33 lbs. of paper that got delivered. Now, I’m paying another accountant to follow the strings of accounts related to the period we were married to get a final value. Here’s my question, finally. Can I recoup my expenses, that I put out to retrieve what should have been handed over honestly in the beginning? If so, would it be through small claims court or the family law court.
Thanks for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">