• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


  • Thread starter shannon prendergast
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


shannon prendergast

My boyfriend's divorce was just fianl last month. We live in Indiana. To keep this short - his ex-wife was released from prison in 11-99 where she served a year for embezzling almost $100,000 from her employer. Needless to say, she does not have the greatest set of morals. During the divorce, she produced a power of attorney for her to sign for my boyfriend. She had used this numerous times to do things like refinance the house and sell their vehicles - all without my boyfriend knowing. My boyfriend said right from the beginning that he did not remember signing for anything but she had this power of attorney and it was notarized. The deal is the notary was a girlfriend who worked with her, also involved in the embezzling and the power of attorney is dated the same day as the house got refinanced (what a coincident). We did not know this until after the hearing when documents we requested from the mortgage company finally arrived. After some research we realized my boyfriend had to be at work that day and he doesn't miss work because he is a road construction superintendent for million dollar highway projects. Basically we think she had her friend notarize the p.o.a. without him being there and that he didn't even sign the paper so she could refinance the house to pay off some of her personal debts and later she continued to use this fake p.o.a. to sell off marital assets without my boyfriends consent. We now live about 100 miles away from the county the divorce took place in. What do we need to file to prosecute her in some way and get back some of the money she took? Can we file here or do we need to file at the county they lived in at the time, namely the county the divorce took place in? What is punishment for faking a p.o.a. and what will happen to the notary? Thank you for your time.



Read the answers to "Please Help Me!" on page 2 of this board.

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential