• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rediculous amount of spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the legal reason for the downward deviation for child support? And did ALL of the 401k accure DURING the marriage?

For her to be able to afford child support I would just end up paying her more spousal support so she could turn around and send it back as child support. If she is willing to settle for a lower dollar amount in spousal support and we can avoid the circle I am O.K. with that. One negitive for me would be if I ever lost my income, if the kids were young I would be more concerned but at this point I'm willing to take the risk.

Most of the 401K was earned during the marriage, I think I had around $20,000 in it before we married. She suggested taking less of the 401K to offset the value of her horse trailer, truck and horses , this gets the split to a more 50% basis (except it's all give for me and all take for her).

Silverplum

Most of the 401K was earned during the marriage, I think I had around $20,000 in it before we married. She suggested taking less of the 401K to offset the value of her horse trailer, truck and horses , this gets the split to a more 50% basis (except it's all give for me and all take for her).
Unless you think she was spectacularly worth an extra $10K, and I don't think you do/she was, make sure your 401K is valued from Date of Marriage to Date of Separation ONLY.

Tayla

WRONG. A judge can make that decision and hold someone in contempt if they do not sign the proper forms giving the NCP the right to claim the child. This is why you have been told not to respond to things before. Because you are ignorant to many legal rulings.
Ohiogal- pardon can you research how many post in which I have been warned? You seem to be so good at pointing fingers. Otherwise your viewpoint of a judges ruling adds an update to current facts so thanks for that part being true! No where did I write in stone , I was questioning the information as it seemed odd. So te clarification was a good thing. Sorry that you have to come off so brazen, maybe you should take Bali out for that drink to loosen up :)

LdiJ

For her to be able to afford child support I would just end up paying her more spousal support so she could turn around and send it back as child support. If she is willing to settle for a lower dollar amount in spousal support and we can avoid the circle I am O.K. with that. One negitive for me would be if I ever lost my income, if the kids were young I would be more concerned but at this point I'm willing to take the risk.

You may be being practical on that issue. Neither of your children would be eligible for child support for too much longer. Your eldest may age out before this whole thing is finished.

My 401K money is actually at two seperate places, instead of giving her a percentage or dollar amount I am just signing over the smaller of the accounts. It ends up being a 60/40 split.

Will I still have to fill out the forms for child support or will the judge allow me to just wave that part. Someone mentioned in an earlier post about having the child support issue in "reserve", what exactly does this mean.

One other thing, now that we have reached an agreement we are going to proceed without any attorney's involvment. I have filled out the separation agreement and she is meeting me today to sign the forms.

Just wanted to say she went ahead and signed all the papers for dissolution except for the child support forms which I havn't filled out because I am not sure if I have to. So we started out thinking we could work it out ourselves, moved on to getting attorney's involved and now are back to doing it ourselves.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">