• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Registration hold in FL and need it fixed ASAP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Physx78

What is the name of your state? Florida

Ok, so long story short, an ex of mine apparently got a ticket back in the start of 2018 with a traffic camera. I found out when I went to renew my registration. There is now a hold on it.

After a bunch of calls to multiple organizations, I finally come to find out the ticket was handed over to a collection agency! What was originally a $158 ticket is now something a collection agency is asking $410 for! Their "collection fee" alone is 40% on top of the fee when they received it. NO idea why it jumped up so much, but for a red light violation, this is insane.

I have four children to provide for and do not have $410 currently. Since my ex-wife passed away at the start of this year, without child support from her, I am struggling just to pay the bills for my family, let alone extra because of something she did last year with my vehicle.

I am not sure the best way to handle this, as I do a LOT of driving (work mostly), and am concerned of getting tickets because of an expired registration now. I do want to eventually handle the ticket, but am desperate for a quick fix in the meantime so I don't accrue a bunch of tickets while I try to re-open the case, fight it (if even possible), etc.

I contacted some organizations that handle traffic tickets, but all of them charge a minimum of a $350 retainer, and no guarantee they will even be able to get the case dropped. Not only can I not afford the $350 currently, but I could end up having to pay the full $410 still on top of that if they can't fix it.

A friend of mine suggested I report the plate as "lost," and re-register the vehicle. However, I have a feeling the registration hold will be on the vehicle itself and not just the plate, correct? I also know that is shady, but again, I have my kids to provide for here, and until I can pay that $410 or re-open the case, I am desperate to do something to fix this immediately. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. The most I have to spare currently for some type of fix is around $100. Even then, it's going to mean that I eat ramen noodles for the next couple weeks. Please help us.

justalayman

Well, to start with, driving without a valid registration is illegal. To avoid tickets for driving without a valid registration, dont do it.

I presume your ex was driving your car. Would that be correct?

If you get any tickets for driving without a registration it’s likely to cost you more than just paying this ticket. Now is when you find out who your friends are.

Physx78

Why not ask for a payment schedule from the collection agency?
I could try that, but at $410, they are completely gouging me, and I hate to be ripped off so severely for something I did not do.

Also, I would imagine they wouldn't lift the registration hold until it was paid off?

The best thing I think I have heard so far is to write a letter to the court the case was handled in, explain the circumstances to the judge, and see if I can get them to re-open it? I would even tell them that if they would do that, I won't even contest it - I will just plead guilty and pay the original $158. Just not sure if they will re-open it though

Any tickets generated because of a traffic camera are sent to the registered owner at his/her last known address. Did you get the ticket in the mail?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I could try that, but at $410, they are completely gouging me, and I hate to be ripped off so severely for something I did not do.
Yeah, it sucks...but you need the hold lifted, so you might need to suck it up.

Also, I would imagine they wouldn't lift the registration hold until it was paid off?
It seems to me that WE aren't the ones that would make that decision. You need to talk to the collector!

The best thing I think I have heard so far is to write a letter to the court the case was handled in, explain the circumstances to the judge, and see if I can get them to re-open it? I would even tell them that if they would do that, I won't even contest it - I will just plead guilty and pay the original $158. Just not sure if they will re-open it though
What...just write a letter saying "I never got it in the mail"? I'm sure the court will have great compassion for you, as you are the first person who would have said that.

xylene

Stop driving your vehicle with a suspended registration. You will get a much bigger ticket and possibly towed.

You know what a license plate camera is? Yeah. And they are ALL OVER.

See about borrowing money to get it fixed. Hit up your friends and neighbors, your church, your ex wife's family.

Visit a food pantry, dumpster dive.

Anything will serve you better than doing something VERY LIKELY to make this much much worse.
A new rap WON'T be your opportunity to explain this either.

Physx78

Any tickets generated because of a traffic camera are sent to the registered owner at his/her last known address. Did you get the ticket in the mail?
The problem was that I was still living with that ex of mine at the time. So, while I am sure they mailed it to me, I never saw it.

In fact, when I called the court, according to them, I plead "not guilty," got a court date, and then never showed for the court date. God only knows why she did that, maybe in hopes they would drop it if she contested it. No idea what things went through her head.

Physx78

Thanks for all the feedback. I just find it truly disgusting that we live in a system so corrupt that they can jack up a $410 fine for allegedly running a red light and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Zigner

Thanks for all the feedback. I just find it truly disgusting that we live in a system so corrupt that they can jack up a $410 fine for allegedly running a red light and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
The fine wasn't for "allegedly" running the light. The driver of the vehicle did run the red light, as determined by the court. The fine wasn't jacked up for running the red - the fine never changed. The penalties, etc., for failing to pay the fine are what has increased the total due.

xylene

The penalties, etc., for failing to pay the fine are what has increased the total due.
Let's be real, this is jacked up.

BUT driving an unregistered car is not an effective protest strategy for someone who is nearly broke and living paycheck to paycheck.

xylene

I'm just pointing out the the FINE for the offense itself has not increased.
I'm going to... respectfully disagree. Parsing the fine from the charges and fees is really nonsense if the total PENALTY must be paid to be compliant and register his car. For those those amounts to nearly triple the amount owing in 1 year is preposterous and usurious.

Zigner

I'm going to... respectfully disagree. Parsing the fine from the charges and fees is really nonsense if the total PENALTY must be paid to be compliant and register his car. For those those amounts to nearly triple the amount owing in 1 year is preposterous and usurious.
Fair enough.
In any case, as I mentioned, the OP should contact the collection agency and see about making payment arrangements in order to get the hold on his registration removed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">