• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rejected by college, I do not accept this!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcclpn

And what would you expect to do as an RN? Don't you realize that the field is constantly changing, and that you have to constantly adjust to meet new requirements? If you are not smart enough to figure out how to get a passing grade, how can we expect you to grasp new medical protocols in the field?! You are expected to be able to use technology.

You do not have an intrinsic right to get a degree. The degree has to be earned, and you didn't. There are pathways to appeal a grade - a courtroom is not it.
Ouch! Once again, the truth hurts~ thanks for your insight

dcclpn

I am grateful for the insight, and for having whatever pride I was holding onto, completely ransacked. The positive here, is I can accept the fact that I am an ignoramus, and pick up the pieces (eventually) and continue on the path of becoming a better person.

I came here for solutions, pathways to an answer, regardless of whose favor the answer sided with.

Well done!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
As a paying customer, who has received passing grades, as far as test-scores are concerned, I upheld my end, when they changed the policy for one particular requirement, the test scores no longer have the most value, the value shifted to the time spent using the program. I did not use the program, therefore, I did not get enough points to pass.
And the bolded part is the problem. You had to spend a certain amount of time using the program and you did not do that. That was the requirement. College is not limited to using test grades to evaluate student performance. They can and do impose requirements to do things other than just sit for tests. As a nurse you surely know this because nursing requires not just tests but practical evaluations, too. It was up to you to ensure you met the requirements for the course. You didn’t put the time in on the program as you were expected to do. That’s analogous to not doing well on a test.

I have not violated any rules, have not been disrespectful to a single person, and have maintained an eager to learn attitude, throughout, and for them to dismiss me, and refuse to give me another shot, when I am so close to finishing the program, it's really cruel.
But those things — not violating rules, not being disrespectful, and keeping an eager to learn attitude — are not the only bench marks to staying in college. You know this. You have been in school for many years over the course of your life and surely know that you have to meet the requirements of the program to graduate. That’s why colleges issue grades in the first place. However you want to spin this, the bottom line is that it was YOUR responsibility to meet the program requirements. The college changed one course requirement. That happens. You needed to adapt when that change was made and spend the time on the program. For whatever reason, you didn’t do it. You didn’t meet the requirements. That’s not on the school, that’s on you. I know you don’t want to hear that; you’d rather pin the blame on the school and hope for some legal action to give you another shot. I have seen this sort of thing happen to other students, too, especially in doctor and nursing programs, and naturally the student is disappointed when he/she gets close to finishing a program and then washes out. It is not unusual that they do not want to accept that it was their own failure to meet the program requirements that failed them and grasp for some legal lifeline that might get them another shot. But for nearly all of them no such lifeline exists. The law doesn’t require that colleges and universities give students a second chance to meet the program requirements.

They are infringing my right to earn the degree, which affects my finances, as well as my reputation.
There is no right under the law to earn a degree. And again, it was your own failure to meet a course requirement that is preventing you from getting that degree.

They have taken my money, and I feel, I have proven myself a great student, except for a few minor hiccups, when it comes to technology and online courses. I have the grades, and have made the Dean's list, in classes that do not require you to take lecture from a computer program.
The college provided you with the courses that you paid for. That was its obligation. It does not have the obligation to ensure you pass and get your degree. That part of it is on you. The student has the burden to know the program requirements and meet them. You didn’t do that. And in a nurse, that’s an important thing. Nurses have a critical role in healthcare and they need to know and understand the requirements of their profession and be able to meet them. That includes being able to use technology, as the medical field has a great deal of technology that nurses may need to use.

I took an advanced finance class in my undergraduate program. At the end of the semester a student came in to sit for the final exam. The professor refused to let her sit for the exam and thus she failed the course. Why? Because in the course requirements it was clearly stated that students were expected to attend all the classes unless excused, and this student hadn’t bothered to show up once. She thought so long as she could pass the final exam she’d be ok. She failed to meet a requirement of the course: attending classes. That’s a legitimate requirement and her failure to do it meant she failed the course. She was upset by that and thought the professor was unfair, but the the reality was the failure to pass was on her, not the professor. The requirement was clearly stated in the syllabus at the start of the course. It was a simple matter of paying attention to the requirement and ensuring it was meant. But she blew it off thinking, as perhaps you did with the online lectures, that it wouldn’t be a big deal to skip the classes. That kind of assumption can turn out horribly wrong, as she found out that day when she was not allowed to sit for the final. If you also thought that not spending the time on the computer (which I gather you do not enjoy) wouldn’t be a problem then that was not a good assumption to make. Never assume you can just blow off some stated requirement in a course and expect to pass it.

I believe that a consumer has the right to continue to achieve their goals and their dreams, and there is no justification for refusing them, as long as they are not disruptive or disrespectful.
There is no such consumer right in the law. And it would be a disaster if there was. Under that standard, we would graduate everyone who was “not disruptive or disrespectful” even if they cannot meet the requirements for the degree, thus unleashing on the world doctors, nurses, lawyers, accountants, dentists, and others who are wholly unqualified to do the work and thus may cause great harm to others. But at least they’d to it in a respectful manner, right? If you’re going to do that, might as well not even require school and just let anyone call themselves a doctor, nurse, or lawyer as long as they can be respectful. Obviously, that’s not acceptable. The public wants an assurance that the doctors and nurses that treat them are qualified. That’s why nursing programs have stated requirements in their courses that you must meet. Once again, the problem here is that you failed to meet the course requirement. That’s on you. I suspect you would rather not face that, but I think you need to accept that and learn from it so that you do not repeat the same error should you get another shot to pursue your dream of finishing your education.

My motto is Never Give Up...and I will remain true to that statement.
By all means continue to explore with the college what you might do to continue and look to see if you might be able to complete the program elsewhere. But I would say that while perseverance is a good thing, there are times when one does have to admit they will never succeed in their goal and instead set a different — and hopefully realistic — goal to pursue. You may not be at that point yet, but at some point if you cannot achieve the goal you will want to stop banging your head against the wall and suffering the pain of it.

Last edited:

dcclpn

I am very grateful for your thoughtful response. I recognize wisdom, and will use what I can in the steps moving forward.

Thank you!

FlyingRon

If she can't deal with computers, she's going to have serious problems with the certification. The exam used in most places (NCLEX) is 100% computer administered now.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It may have something to do with state requirements or licensing. In many fields (including mine), and in many college majors, there are subject areas that require a minimum score well above traditional "failure" in order to successfully pass the program.
Wait. Like when peoples lives are at stake? Shocking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">