• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Religion Education Differences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dave1967

What is the name of your state?ct.

Hello. Here is my unique, yet somewhat ridiculous situation. My ex-wife and I have been divorced for over seven and half years. prior to our divorce we were married in the Catholic Church and attended mass on a regualr basis. When we had our beautiful daughter she was baptized in the catholic church. When she was eight months old we separated and later divorced. during that time frame I continued as did she to take the child to church with us. Once the divorce was finalized she stopped going to church. the reason as I found out a little while ago was because when she wanted an annullment and I told the church that I woudl fight it they told her it would cost her more money for them to proceed with it and she got disgusted with the church over that. So, for the past seven years she has NOT attended mass or taken our daughter to church.
I, on the other hand, have taken her to church since then. maybe not every sunday she was with me but at least half of them and durning the holidays she was with me. Now, I have remarried a little over two years ago and had another daughter who is baptized in the catholic church. In addition I have two step children who we are raisding as catholics. We moved about 18 months ago to a small town and have been attending mass on a regular basis.
This year we wanted to sign the kids up for CCD classes so they could recieve their sacraments. The program works for them becuase two of them are older than the other kids involved that they have to attend four special CCD classes on a sunday after mass from october through december and attend a monthly meeting one night a month from six to nine. The night meetings are not a problem since it falls on the time I have with my daughter and during my visistation hours. it just happens by fluke that the particular sunday's that she has to attend sunday school are on the ones that I do not have her with me.

Now, I called my ex-wife and informed her of my intentions and asked to switch times around so that I coudl accomadate the requirements for her. She told me "I do nto want our daughter brainwashed". I told her I have been taking her to mass and holiday events and she never said anything before about it. I was not asking her to participate if she did not want to just switch days. (by the way we have switched days in the past without issue). She woudl not hear fo it. She told me that I can fight it in court and that it woudl be a long drawn out process and she said I would lose becuase she had a good attorney and I do not.

sher is right that I do not ahve an attorney nor can I afford one. Do I have a leg to stand on?

seniorjudge

There is very little you can do.

No court wants to get involved in such a dispute (and, in fact, courts should not be involved in such disputes).

Teach your child what you believe and expect your ex-wife to do the same.

I believe it was Saint Francis of Assissi who said, "Preach the Gospel, using words if necessary."

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Perhaps, since it is important to you, you could see if another Catholic Church local to you has similar classes when your child CAN make it, or if arrangements could be made for private classes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">