• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relinguish fathers rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mailboxkdw2000

relinguishing biological fathers rights

My x-husband wasnts to relinguish his rights to our two
children ages 16 & 12. Is this something I need to get
a lawyer for or are there papers I can file on my own?How long does this process take? My husband now wishes
to adopt my children, is this something I can do the paper
work myself or do I need a lawyer to do this. Can I use a paralegal to file these papers? How long does this process
take? Once filed how long before we can change last name on the children. If I retain a laywer to draw up papers and x-husband decides not to relinguish his rights can I sue him in small claims court for my attorney fees for not going through the process after he requested it?
We live in Washington State

THANK YOU for any help or answers you can give....
mailboxkdw2000

[Edited by mailboxkdw2000 on 12-02-2000 at 10:28 PM]

LegalBeagle

Re: relinguishing biological fathers rights

mailboxkdw2000 said:
My x-husband wasnts to relinguish his rights to our two
children ages 16 & 12. Is this something I need to get
a lawyer for or are there papers I can file on my own?How long does this process take? My husband now wishes
to adopt my children, is this something I can do the paper
work myself or do I need a lawyer to do this. Can I use a paralegal to file these papers? How long does this process
take? Once filed how long before we can change last name on the children. If I retain a laywer to draw up papers and x-husband decides not to relinguish his rights can I sue him in small claims court for my attorney fees for not going through the process after he requested it?
We live in Washington State

THANK YOU for any help or answers you can give....
mailboxkdw2000
Your best bet is to retain an attorney. Ensure you inform them that you want this done quickly. First thing you get the father to sign is a letter of intent/contract where will be pay all legal costs if he decides to change his mind.

MySonsMom

Re: Re: relinguishing biological fathers rights

First thing you get the father to sign is a letter of intent/contract where will be pay all legal costs if he decides to change his mind. [/B][/QUOTE]

YES! VERY IMPORTANT! THIS DOES HAPPEN! :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">