• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relocating a relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am her husband, mentioned in original post. We just need advice on how to move my brother from facility in Illinois to a different care place in Michigan.

Given you are away from home for periods of time and your wife will be the one to deal with your brother/his situation, my advice to her stands - don't do it.
Ok. Thanks. I understand. What do I need to do, legally, to get my brother moved to a different facility closer to home, Mi. So we can visit without a four hour drive?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok. Thanks. I understand. What do I need to do, legally, to get my brother moved to a different facility closer to home, Mi. So we can visit without a four hour drive?
You first need to figure out how he ended up there. As I mentioned above, if everything you say is true, then somebody likely has an adult guardianship in place. If that is the case, then you're going to need to attorney if you are to have any hope at succeeding.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You need to start with speaking with a lawyer in the state your brother is in - as mentioned earlier.

Then I strongly suggest that your husband call a local elder law attorney there and make an appointment to see that attorney before going to the facility.

The attorney will be able to find out whether the brother is under county or state guardianship and how much control the facility has over the situation.

If your brother and friend just show up unprepared at the facility it isn't likely to end well.

Just a last post thanking you all for taking the time to help.
Hubby and a friend finally got out to visit him. He seems MUCH better than he was when he got placed in this facility.
So it looks like our next move will be to find an Illinois lawyer and work on moving him to a place closer to family.
I do still believe he needs some kind of assisted living... at least until we are sure about his abilities. But he sure seemed sharp and on the ball...

So again thanks. Much appreciated.

OH... almost forgot.
One reason he got rejected when I did try to land him an apartment here, was "finances." The apartment claimed they mailed the reason to his facility but he never got it. (They have a cash cow and won't let him go without a fight. They would not even return my husbands many calls.)
Anyway, we found out it was from his wife's medical bills before she passed. Over 20 grand. She died years ago now. Isn't there some statute of limations on going after the somewhat disabled spouse? So hoping an "aging lawyer" can assist with cleaning up his credit too. But that's the plan, find and hire a lawyer in Ill. and pry him out of the clutches of this greedy place.

Cheers all.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just a last post thanking you all for taking the time to help.
Hubby and a friend finally got out to visit him. He seems MUCH better than he was when he got placed in this facility.
So it looks like our next move will be to find an Illinois lawyer and work on moving him to a place closer to family.
I do still believe he needs some kind of assisted living... at least until we are sure about his abilities. But he sure seemed sharp and on the ball...

So again thanks. Much appreciated.

OH... almost forgot.
One reason he got rejected when I did try to land him an apartment here, was "finances." The apartment claimed they mailed the reason to his facility but he never got it. (They have a cash cow and won't let him go without a fight. They would not even return my husbands many calls.)
Anyway, we found out it was from his wife's medical bills before she passed. Over 20 grand. She died years ago now. Isn't there some statute of limations on going after the somewhat disabled spouse? So hoping an "aging lawyer" can assist with cleaning up his credit too. But that's the plan, find and hire a lawyer in Ill. and pry him out of the clutches of this greedy place.

Cheers all.
Your thanks is appreciated.

I have to wonder, though, if he is doing "MUCH better" and seems "sharp and on the ball", then why do you feel that the facility, which is apparently helping him greatly, is such a bad place?

Your thanks is appreciated.

I have to wonder, though, if he is doing "MUCH better" and seems "sharp and on the ball", then why do you feel that the facility, which is apparently helping him greatly, is such a bad place?

He has ZERO freedom. They take anything from him they want. Hubby will send a care package but if there are cigarettes in there they get taken away. He can't even go outside for a walk. They send someone to the store for inmates but can they get him a lousy phone? NO! And the closest family is several hours drive away. Would you like just sitting in a room with a bed and a chair and wait to be fed every day? It's no way to exist.
Add to that the fact that he never got his mail about the apartment, AND no one will even return my husbands phone calls asking why exactly he is in there. It's a bad place. They are taking just about ALL of his rather sizable retirement and my guess is if that dried up he'd be on the sidewalk in a heartbeat. He's always helped us when we needed it, it's our turn to do the same. That apartment I found would have been perfect. He would be in walking distance to just about anything and would be only 6 mi from us. I could drive him to doctor appointments, about the only thing not right in town. But between this facility not giving him his mail, failing to mail back the application with his signature, and not even letting him know WHY he was finally turned down, they are pure crap.

He may actually need a facility but one close enough to home that we can check up on him more often is in order. Might have to go in debt to pay for a lawyer but it's time. Clearly we need legal council to bust him out.

Hubby contacted a few via email, he's back at work now so..... we'll see.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">