• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

relocate_DC

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington, DC and Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The company I used to work for [headquarters are in Louisiana] relocated me to the DC area. They gave me a 5K relocation 'bonus,' but didn't raise my overall salary for the cost of living. In order to receive the 5K, I had to sign a contract stating I'd remain with the company for one year or I'd have to pay the money back.

Well, I still started looking for jobs, found one, and quit. So now I have to pay the money back.

Question: is that contact legally binding? A friend told me he didn't think it was, but he couldn't remember the reason.

Any advice is appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I cannot think of a single reason why it shouldn't be legally binding, unless the state of Louisiana has a law that specifically makes such agreements illegal. I suspect you are going to be on the hook for that money. Most such agreements ARE legal.

However, only an attorney who has seen and read the entire document can tell you for certain; the EXACT wording and the context makes a difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">