• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing/Voting Out LLC Partner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jbanana

Wisconsin.

Thanks in advance for reviewing my post. We have four partners currently. Here's where it's a little weird. All four of us started out the Operating Agreement with our percentages as follows: 30/30/30/10. 3 Months in to the business/OpAgreement the 10% partner decided to leave the company. We signed a doc removing him from the company and that was that. Now one of the 30% owners basically gave up, disapeared, won't answer calls, emails, etc. Most definitely does not complete his duties. We'll call him "30% owner Z"

So we want to remove him, buy out, whatever. He's not cooperating and certainly not helping the business. In my recent review of our operating agreement I noticed "NO one individual member can Voluntarily remove themselves from the business within 6 months from sign/dating the Op Agreement. I think, in my opinion this is great because the 10% we thought we removed is still legally an owner & we need a 66% Vote to remove this non cooperative owner and we just found our that the 10% owner is in fact a 10% owner after all. The release document we had him sign was within the 6 months and from I know does NOT supersede the OP Agreement. The 10%'er is willing to vote with myself and the other 30% owner to remove "30% owner Z". This way we have a 70% vote fulfilling what the OP Agreement required. My questions are these. Do we need a special form signed by the three people voting him out to make the "vote out" legal and what do financially owe the member voted out as far as dollars? Would it be 30% of the current company worth? In my eyes this mistake worked in our advantage but I surely wanted to double check. Thanks again.

tranquility

Your theory regarding the effect of the clause in the partnership agreement is suspect at best. If the 30% partner you want out wanted to test it in court, I think he'd win. But, here's the cool thing, your math is a bit suspect too. What happened to the 10%?

This is a partnership. All of it must be owned by the partners. Here's my theory. Each of the remaining partners got 3 1/3% more ownership rights due to the 10% partner leaving.

For those not quite catching the meaning of the above as yet:
30% + 3 1/3% = 33 1/3%
33 1/3% + 33 1/3% = 66 2/3%
66 2/3% > 66%

Problem solved.

The amount owed for the removal is dependent on the partnership agreement. Some use capital account, some use percentage and some a combination. It could be on book value or on an appraisal, it could be many things. If the agreement does not state, you have a negotiation as valuation of a company can be very difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">