• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent control in Oakland, CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

donofriot

Just need to know if rent control still exists in Oakland CA.
My rent has been $1,600/mo. for the last 3-5yrs. My landlord sent me a letter at the end of January saying my rent will be $1,850 as of April 1.
Is that a legal increase? and what is the maximum % can they raise it each month or year.(How does it work)

Thank you,
Tony Donofrio
Oakland CA

L

LL

Oakland used to have rent control, but I don't know anything about how current that information is, or how it worked.

In general, since the old days of the early 1990s, rent control has fallen somewhat out of favor, especially in California, but elsewhere, too. What has happened is that cities that instituted rent control has seen the quantity and the quality of their housing stock diminish. Rent control has proven to be a problem of its own, rather than a solution to any problems.

California now has passed state-wide vacancy decontrol and has dealt with the current rent price re-adjustment by requiring an additional 30 days notice for rent increases greater than 10%.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">