• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent controlled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Is it true, in Manhattan, in a rent controlled appartment involving elderly residence, that if one of the 2 die, the apartment management could move the survivor to a smaller appartment?

You Are Guilty

Not happy about having to wait a whole hour till someone answers your question?

But yes, I know the answer. I'm not currently in the mood to explain all the details myself, but you can find what you're looking for here:
http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/dhcr/dhcr30.html

You Are Guilty

Sigh.

It depends. On what, you ask? On the LL's reason for moving the person, the relationship of the people living in the unit (to each other), their ages and how long each one resided there.
For rent stabilized apartments outside NYC and rent controlled apartments statewide, an owner may not evict a tenant for the purpose of owner occupancy where any member of the tenant's household is 62 years of age or older.
Beyond that, I'd strongly suggest you contact DHCR to get more information:
http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/AboutUs/contact.htm#ora

The couple (was a couple) 69, the husband died and they lived in a 2 bedroom (wife still lives there)

The wife is worried since she is no longer a couple, the owner of the building will want to move her to a smaller place, and she has no children to put on the lease (nevermind no one but husband and wife lived there forthe past 30-40 years)

Is this legal. Does she have a valid worry?

I have throughly read the guidelines, and I still am unsure, If the lease is changed because one of the lease holders are dead, does that void the lease and does she have to move if the LL demands her too?

xylene

Bottom line -

I have throughly read the guidelines, and I still am unsure, If the lease is changed because one of the lease holders are dead, does that void the lease and does she have to move if the LL demands her too?
If the landlord makes ANY demand to move or swap or claims the lease is void; contact a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">