• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent penalty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvogel

What is the name of your state? Calif.
I signed a one year lease referring to rules and regulations, which I also signed, requiring a 3 month rent penalty for early termination. Is this legal and/or enforceable? My understanding is that if I break the lease I am only responsible for rerenting costs plus rent for a reasonable vacancy period until the landlord finds a new tenant, using reasonable effort to do so.

south

You signed for a year your liable for a year.

Did you agree to the three month penalty?

jvogel said:
What is the name of your state? Calif.
I signed a one year lease referring to rules and regulations, which I also signed, requiring a 3 month rent penalty for early termination. Is this legal and/or enforceable? My understanding is that if I break the lease I am only responsible for rerenting costs plus rent for a reasonable vacancy period until the landlord finds a new tenant, using reasonable effort to do so.

ENASNI

weeeellll

Cali LL/tenant law does not say they cannot put that in the lease. (as far as I can tell) and what my friend Grasshopper South is saying is.. (I think) Stay the year!

If they do rent it before the 3 months is through, you will not be liable, they cannot double dip. So if you help find a tenant if you are a silly-willy and break the lease, then you are off the hook on that.

The Ca Handbook really is so Californian... it is a bit laid-back...They suggest negotiation a lot... hee hee... but the truth is in there.
http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/
Scully signing off.

south

Thanks ENASNI good team work

I'll bite em you explain why!

ENASNI said:
Cali LL/tenant law does not say they cannot put that in the lease. (as far as I can tell) and what my friend Grasshopper South is saying is.. (I think) Stay the year!

If they do rent it before the 3 months is through, you will not be liable, they cannot double dip. So if you help find a tenant if you are a silly-willy and break the lease, then you are off the hook on that.

The Ca Handbook really is so Californian... it is a bit laid-back...They suggest negotiation a lot... hee hee... but the truth is in there.
http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/
Scully signing off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">