• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent Rebate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NoKids4Me

What is the name of your state? Texas - I'm on day 9 of not having water. I pay my landlord for water. It's not a water utility issue - we've never lost service to the property as a whole, but some buildings in the complex have been turned off. Am I entitled to a rebate of some portion of my rent for the time I do not have water?

Please don't roast me for trying to profit from a natural disaster; that's honestly not what I'm trying to accomplish here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Texas - I'm on day 9 of not having water. I pay my landlord for water. It's not a water utility issue - we've never lost service to the property as a whole, but some buildings in the complex have been turned off. Am I entitled to a rebate of some portion of my rent for the time I do not have water?

Please don't roast me for trying to profit from a natural disaster; that's honestly not what I'm trying to accomplish here.

What is the cause of the water outage?

reenzz

Can you prove that the landlords direct negligence is the cause if the lack of water?

What...exactly...are you trying to accomplish?

Just Blue

Is the water included in the rent or a separate bill from the LL? If the later is it a % of the property water cost or just your water cost?

NoKids4Me

Can you prove that the landlords direct negligence is the cause if the lack of water?

What...exactly...are you trying to accomplish?
I'm not exactly sure - revenge maybe, although I'm not proud to admit it. I'm angry at them for several other things. Here's my favorite: a while back, I had to have major surgery. I wanted to have my mother come and take care of me while I recovered. They said no - my lease limits overnight guests to 3 days. If I didn't like it, I shouldn't have signed the lease.

So, like I said, I'm not especially proud to admit it, but I guess I finally see my opportunity to hold them to their end of the bargain, since they were so insistent on holding me to mine.

FarmerJ

The billing method is can be called apportioning ( In some places its a simple formula like a percentage of the master meters billed use. As to not having any water , do any of the LLs buildings have working water where you could go and draw bucket fulls from? As to a reduced rent if the LL wont then only a court could .

Gail in Georgia

Sounds like the water needs to be shut off due to broken pipes. My son lives in Houston (in a high rise) and was without water for four days; not because of broken pipes but because of no power for the pumps to get the water up to him.

Lots of folks in Texas are dealing with broken pipes and plumbers are working 24/7 right now. If you'd like to be the north end of a horse going south you can always demand a reduction in your water bill down the road but it's already been explained to you why the need to do this. Doesn't seem worth it to sue for what is likely a small amount.

Gail

NoKids4Me

Some buildings have water, some don't, but they aren't offering to let us shower or wash our clothes in those buildings, which is what I'm most anxious about. I have bottled water to drink, and I've been hauling buckets of water out of the pool for flushing my toilet. Ultimately, it's a pain in the neck, but things could be far, far worse, and I recognize that.

Thank you all for your replies, even though they weren't what I was hoping to hear. I know that I need to exorcise the vengeance demon, and hopefully some day I'll be emotionally mature enough to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">