• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental car small dent - Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

I rented a car from Enterprise. Today, I slightly hit a shopping cart and I believe it caused a small dent which is about a quarter of an inch on the front bumper. I did not buy their insurance. I used my own. Will I be dinged for this when they inspect the car when I return it? If yes, how much do you think they will bill me? I have not called my Insurance company about this incident.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
We don't have crystal balls therefore we cannot predict what the rental agent will or will not notice.

TreyP.

I own a dent repair shop, and I see this exact scenario all the time. If you didn't buy the insurance, the rental company is gonna inspect the car pretty thoroughly when you return it. If they do notice the damage, they'll charge you for it. They'll probably charge you more than you could get it repaired for, so you might want to get an estimate before you take it back.

Ladyback1

I own a dent repair shop, and I see this exact scenario all the time. If you didn't buy the insurance, the rental company is gonna inspect the car pretty thoroughly when you return it. If they do notice the damage, they'll charge you for it. They'll probably charge you more than you could get it repaired for, so you might want to get an estimate before you take it back.
Keep in mind, the rental co. can also charge for inability to use the vehicle while it is being repaired...

ecmst12

They will try, but it's a bogus charge. They have to prove that they actually lost money because they had no other cars available to rent while that car was being repaired, before they could get such a charge to stick to you in court.

TreyP.

They don't take you to court over it, they charge it to your credit card. In the rental agreement, the customer agrees to pay for the damages if they waived the insurance. It's a huge profit center for rental companies.

We don't have crystal balls therefore we cannot predict what the rental agent will or will not notice.
I returned the car the next day and actually told them what happened with car and the shopping cart. The employee said that it would be up to the manager to make the decision so the manager checked out the dent and said that he will let me slide by so I did not had to pay for the dent. Note: I did NOT purchase their insurance.

I asked him if I had to call my Auto Insurance company, he said NO. Did I do the wrong thing by not calling my Auto Insurance company?

Do you think Enterprise will bill me for this in the mail and/or inform my Auto Insurance company?

I returned the car the next day and actually told them what happened with car and the shopping cart. The employee said that it would be up to the manager to make the decision so the manager checked out the dent and said that he will let me slide by so I did not had to pay for the dent. Note: I did NOT purchase their insurance.

I asked him if I had to call my Auto Insurance company, he said NO. Did I do the wrong thing by not calling my Auto Insurance company?

Do you think Enterprise will bill me for this in the mail and/or inform my Auto Insurance company?

You're liable for your deductible.

Keep in mind, the rental co. can also charge for inability to use the vehicle while it is being repaired...
How is this possible? The dent is quarter of an inch. It is very very small. You would have to go up close to actually see it. How much is that charge for inability to use the vehicle?

They will try, but it's a bogus charge. They have to prove that they actually lost money because they had no other cars available to rent while that car was being repaired, before they could get such a charge to stick to you in court.
Prove to who?

What do you mean to court?

I have my own Auto Insurance with Collision and Comprehensive coverage.

They don't take you to court over it, they charge it to your credit card. In the rental agreement, the customer agrees to pay for the damages if they waived the insurance. It's a huge profit center for rental companies.
Are you sure they don't take you to court? I have my own insurance though.

OHRoadwarrior

They charge for loss of rental while the damage is being repaired. Regular insurance does not cover the fee. They will charge to your credit card or turn over to collections if they elect to pursue it. I would have not mentioned the ding and let them approve the return myself. I rented an SUV in NM once. It was broken into and the window fragments lightly peppered the leather interior. I had the window replaced and never mentioned the light scratching in the leather. When returned they were happily waiting for it to go to auction that evening. They sell them after about 12k max. The ding you had was insignificant.

ecmst12

If they said they will not charge you for it I wouldn't worry about it. If they change their mind, they will contact you about it first anyway. You don't need to call your insurance at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">