• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renter's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amos3

I have been living with my friend Lacey at her mom's house her mom passed away two years ago in about a month ago her sisters moved in and told me I had to move out but I have been living here for 2 years I get mail here I pay her sister rent her mom didn't leave a deed or a will to anybody so does your sister even have the right to kick me out she says I have 30 days to move

Gail in Georgia

"does your sister even have the right to kick me out"

My sister doesn't. Her sister might. At best you have what is known as a month to month tenancy (ie., a "tenancy at will" situation). Generally this only requires a 30 day notice on the part of either the tenant or the landlord to terminate but this can vary from state to state which is why this forum asks that you list your state.

Gail

LdiJ

I am going to disagree slightly. If the sisters now own the home jointly, then no one sister has the power to give someone notice to move out. The sisters would have to be united in wanting the person to move out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am going to disagree slightly. If the sisters now own the home jointly, then no one sister has the power to give someone notice to move out. The sisters would have to be united in wanting the person to move out.
...or not care either way.

Amos3

Nobody owns the house the mom didn't leave a will my friend Lacey was living here with her mom when she passed away and then let me move in 2yrs ago but a month ago her sister moved in but there's no deed no will left to either one of them so if they don't own the house how do they even have the right to kick me out

Amos3

Her sister(s) may have more ownership of the house than you do. MOVE.
Trust me i would if i could but I don't have any family or anywhere and yawning she might have more rights than I do that I pay rent my mail comes to your I've been living here for two years she just moved in three days ago and she doesn't have a reason for kicking me out because I pay my rent in every seat on time you and I don't pay to her I paid to her sister

Amos3

And I disagree I don't think I should have to move just because somebody doesn't like me that's not a reason for kicking me out especially when I've been living here and getting my mail herE.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And I disagree I don't think I should have to move just because somebody doesn't like me that's not a reason for kicking me out especially when I've been living here and getting my mail herE.
It's not your house by any stretch of the imagination, but the sister(s) may have a valid ownership claim. Your sense of entitlement boggles the mind. It's obvious that you're not really here to hear the truth, bless your heart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">