• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Replace carpet after a cat was last tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlw1000

Here's a little tidbit:

I replaced carpeting 18 months ago with very durable berber commercial grade carpet, with a life of 15 years. 8 months later the tenants (that were living in the unit when the carpet was replaced) were demanding it be replaced again! There are stains in the carpet that I can not remove via steam cleaning. There is gum and tar stuck to the carpet. I have refused to replace this carpet. Should these tenants move out I will replace the carpet, because it is in sad shape, but I will charge the remaining life of the carpet to their deposit.

The problem is that most tenants (not all) just don't care about their home. They figure it's not their property so they can be as destructive as possible. When the majority of tenants do this, it raises the costs of rental unit.

When I have a tenant that takes good care of the rental unit, I try not to raise their rent too much. I have had tenants comment that my rent is low, and it is for the tenants that take good care of the property. I have one tenant that says my rent is getting steep (it is still 20% below market value). I explain to him that he has above average maintenance costs, so the rent has to be increased to cover it. I am not about to make the other tenants pay for his destruction.

If you stay in your apartment for the duration of the lease, and keep a reasonable relationship with the landlord, he might replace the carpet in order to keep you happy & in the unit. When it is time for lease renewal, ask for the carpet to be replaced before you sign again. If you are not happy. move.

C

chw1

OK but your still not answering the question,

I've told you that I am a good tenant and we keep are place clean. It's just time for a new carpet.

M

macckkk

And YOU dont understand..... its the landlord's Property, and its NOT a health issue..so there is NOTHING you can do about it. UNLESS you agree to a higher rent.

A landlord has a right to be a slumlord, and you have a right not to live there.

J

jlw1000

This question was answered in my very first post to this Q, & answered by others as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">