• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repo company LOST my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emach1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My vehicle was recently reposessed. Afterwards, I contacted the repo agent who said I would need to make an appointment to claim my belongings. I made the appointment and got there to get my stuff. They handed me a bag of someone else's belongings. I told them this and they laughed because the guy who 'pulled my stuff' matched the first 3 letters of the license plate only. After humoring herself, she told me I would have to come back later. I told them I couldn't that day but to call me later when they find my stuff.
They never called.
I then contacted the finance company who contacted the agent. They said the same thing to him: that the guy who pulled the stuff wasn't in but when he gets in, he will search.
I asked the finance company if I can file a lost belongings claim or something. He told me I would have to file a police report and that, unfortunately, it is their word against mine.

I understand there is some kind of inventory done to the contents of my vehicle and that inventory must be sent to me in so much amount of time. This agency NEVER sent me such an inventory so, in effect, it would be my word against theirs. However, without that inventory, doesn't this become justice in my favor? They took my car in the middle of the night so I could not mitigate this.
What can I do? ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What "stuff" did you lose?
(I won't believe you if you say you had precious artwork in the trunk ;) )

cosine

They handed me a bag of someone else's belongings.
I'm curious if you had to sign for the stuff. If there wasn't an inventory verification done between you and a staff person there, it sounds like maybe not.

Being the security minded person I am, had there been no signoff for the stuff I got, as soon as I had noticed it was not mine, I would have walked out and visited my lawyer. While they may be able to prove I was there (through things like security cameras) and walked out with a bag, I would most certainly have proof (stored in escrow) that they have a practice of not handling property correctly.

What is the value of all your missing property?

If I had a car that I was behind payment on, I sure wouldn't be storing much stuff in it. And I believe a "reasonable person" would make a similar decision. So it could be hard for you to establish much of a case against them.

emach1

What "stuff" did you lose?
(I won't believe you if you say you had precious artwork in the trunk ;) )
My CD's. About 75 of them. An old cell phone and an emergency road kit. My biggest concern are my CD's. It took me awhile to get that many. The car has a 6 disc CD changer.
No precious artwork. I'm not digging for gold. Had I been given the chance to get my stuff, I would have. They decided to take in the middle of the night and neglect my property. They are truly trashy company that I know Capital One will never do business with again.

emach1

I'm curious if you had to sign for the stuff. If there wasn't an inventory verification done between you and a staff person there, it sounds like maybe not.

Being the security minded person I am, had there been no signoff for the stuff I got, as soon as I had noticed it was not mine, I would have walked out and visited my lawyer. While they may be able to prove I was there (through things like security cameras) and walked out with a bag, I would most certainly have proof (stored in escrow) that they have a practice of not handling property correctly.

What is the value of all your missing property?

If I had a car that I was behind payment on, I sure wouldn't be storing much stuff in it. And I believe a "reasonable person" would make a similar decision. So it could be hard for you to establish much of a case against them.
All told, about 750 dollars worth of CD's and other personal property. I actually am a security minded person too, which is why I did not leave my TomTom (thank god) or my working cell phone.
CD's are not really that much to 'store' in terms of putting them in one of those book-like cases. IN other words, you can get a bunch of them in a reasonably small container. I kept mine either on the side of seats or under them.
However, I don't feel as though I have to defend havin my CD's in the car with a 6 disc CD changer and a relatively safe neighborhood.
The fact is, the towing company was negligent in handling my belongings. The worst part is, they have the nerve to operate. I could have easily taken someone else's property including their license plates, inviting identity theft or more.
I am simply looking for some guidance in terms of what my rights are.
Capital One has actually recently took my information and say they are going to get back to me. I dont know if that is a delay tactic but if it is, I hope someone will chime in. If I have to take Capital One to court, I will.
Thanks for any suggestions.

TigerD

Ring~a~ling:p
Come now Ana. He specifically asked for someone, which quite different than anyone. Of course, nobody could have answered and we are quite happy that everybody failed to answer. But you, Ana, you are somebody. Anybody knows that somebody is not just someone.

DC

racer72

They decided to take in the middle of the night and neglect my property. They are truly trashy company that I know Capital One will never do business with again.
So you think it's okay to neglect your legal obligation then place the blame for your loss on anyone but yourself. I would bet Capital One will gladly never do business with a deadbeat like you again. When one starts slinging arrows of discontent, the often forget where the real blame lies, in most cases it can be found by looking in a mirror.

emach1

So you think it's okay to neglect your legal obligation then place the blame for your loss on anyone but yourself. I would bet Capital One will gladly never do business with a deadbeat like you again. When one starts slinging arrows of discontent, the often forget where the real blame lies, in most cases it can be found by looking in a mirror.
So you think it's ok to have a reading comprehension problem and side with the white trash responsible for neglecting their legally obligated duty? Are you just as a white trash?
I have a right to my belongings, repo imp. I know they have to inventory the stuff and protect it securely. In fact, they want 75 dollars for doing so.
Now, if you STILL believe I have NO right to my property, then you are taking it up the rear and liking it, apparently - and i certainly hope the repo company thinks the same because I love to sue when my rights are being violated!
People like you are the reason these shady companies are still in business.
Well guess what? People like me will go for the jugular. In fact, if this towing company has the attitude YOU have, I will suddenly remember, I had a mink fur coat and some picasso paintings in the trunk. But, i'm willing to wager they are not as irrational and juvenile as you. Do society a favor and retire yourself from existence. No one needs your help or your snotty attitude.

Antigone*

Come now Ana. He specifically asked for someone, which quite different than anyone. Of course, nobody could have answered and we are quite happy that everybody failed to answer. But you, Ana, you are somebody. Anybody knows that somebody is not just someone.

DC
(((DC))) - back at ya :):p:)

emach1

DC
You limit your life's experience to debt collection? That's pretty sad. I guess with this failing economy you will soon have enough to do rather than consume your employers bandwidth. Get back to work, for cripes sake. Earn your friggin money. You are worse than the people who choose not to work - because at least they dont bother trying to fool people into believing they are actually working. Talk about deadbeats.

Antigone*

Racer, there is no talking sense to this OP. They are a victim of circumstance:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">