• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reprinting Published Material

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zddoodah

Am I allowed to reprint the questions from their practice tests, so long as I provide the source?
This question cannot be intelligently answered in the abstract, but the idea-expression dichotomy alluded to in the first response in the thread is indeed the relevant issue.

what you're saying is that they can deny anyone reprinting questions they released thousands of times before, all over the internet. They don't need any basis, or proof of damage? Can I request permission from them?
Anyone "can deny" anything, regardless of what has happened in the past, and such a person/entity needs no basis, no proof of anything or damages to make such a denial. For example, I could allow my teenage child to drive my car 432 times in a row and then deny permission when the 433rd request is made, and I need none of the things you mentioned to do so. And, rather obviously, you can request anything you like from anyone. All of these questions, however, completely miss the mark.

The relevant question whether is who will win if you ask for permission and don't get it but copy the work anyway, and if you then get sued. That's the first question you asked and which I noted is unanswerable in the abstract.

VinceA

Yes, to all of your questions.

You can create your own questions based on the content of the exams but the way the content is presented is copyright-protected.

Attributing the source of the material will not protect you from an infringement lawsuit.
Thank you.

VinceA

This question cannot be intelligently answered in the abstract, but the idea-expression dichotomy alluded to in the first response in the thread is indeed the relevant issue.

Anyone "can deny" anything, regardless of what has happened in the past, and such a person/entity needs no basis, no proof of anything or damages to make such a denial. For example, I could allow my teenage child to drive my car 432 times in a row and then deny permission when the 433rd request is made, and I need none of the things you mentioned to do so. And, rather obviously, you can request anything you like from anyone. All of these questions, however, completely miss the mark.

The relevant question whether is who will win if you ask for permission and don't get it but copy the work anyway, and if you then get sued. That's the first question you asked and which I noted is unanswerable in the abstract.
Yes, I see your point. Thank you.

VinceA

Is there a reason that you can't come up with your own questions that show the same thing as theirs without copying theirs?

For example: Their question is "Billy has 5 apples that he cuts in half, then throws 3 halves in to the trash. How many apples does Billy have remaining?" and your question "Sarah has 7 oranges that she cuts in half. She then eats 5 halves. How many oranges does Sarah have remaining?" Both questions touch on the same concept(s), but are not the same.
No, there is no critical reason, other than it would appear more relevant to students to see actual questions from the company that makes the real test.

quincy

Thank you.
We all appreciate the thanks, VinceA, so thank you.

You would be smart to have a publishing law professional review your book manuscript, and help with editing its content, prior to publication.

I wish you much success with your math book.

VinceA

We all appreciate the thanks, VinceA, so thank you.

You would be smart to have a publishing law professional review your book manuscript, and help with editing its content, prior to publication.

I wish you much success with your math book.
Excellent suggestion. Hopefully they won't charge an exorbitant fee. Thanks again for all the great advice!

FlyingRon

Isn't Hawaii in Sacramento? Anyone? Bueller?

Answer brought to you by Lynn Public School System: Why Educate When So Many Will End Up In Walpole.
My father, who was written up in one book as the best labor lawyer in the country, was a product of Lynn schools.

Just Blue

My father, who was written up in one book as the best labor lawyer in the country, was a product of Lynn schools.
My mother was as well....she went on to get a full ride at Radcliffe.....Lynn schools went down hill sometime in the late 60's early 70's.

As an aside wouldn't it be interesting if our parent were actually at school together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">