• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reputable dealership tried to take advantage of single mom...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ldani

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

So I went to test drive a car I saw online the other day. It was nice, nicer than the one I had, and well the young super nice salesman was all to happy to let me take it after signing papers to allow him to put a temporary dealer tag on it so I can go show it and take it by mechanic for a check. So instead of taking car seat out and baby out he insisted to let me take that car and do what I needed. I called to let him know I was running later than I’d thought on returning vehicle and getting mine. He said no worries you own this car! I freaked out. How? He only had my license and valued my car as a trade, but then I went to look at papers he had me sign, as my almost 2 year old was wreaking havoc he had me sign purchase agreements and a bill of sale. All of which were signed off by the finance guy, as a cash deal! So my question is, I haven’t paid them anything, still have the car, 2 days later, I have a signed bill of sale, don’t I just owe them the title to my Jeep? They never qualified me for anything nor did I say I was paying cash.

quincy

What do you mean by, "instead of taking car seat out and baby out ...?"

You left your baby in your Jeep at the dealership?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm curious. Why does the fact that you are a single mom matter? Are the laws different for single mothers? Is is somehow more heinous to take advantage of a single mother than someone else?

Ldani

What do you mean by, "instead of taking car seat out and baby out ...?"

You left your baby in your Jeep at the dealership?
Def not. I was taking the car seat and baby out the test drive vehicle to put back in mine. When he tricked me into buying by misleading me in the paperwork
I'm curious. Why does the fact that you are a single mom matter? Are the laws different for single mothers? Is is somehow more heinous to take advantage of a single mother than someone else?
absolutely.

adjusterjack

Nobody took advantage of you but you.

You signed papers without bothering to read them and understand them first. You had no business going to a car dealer with a two year old in tow. That kind of distraction makes you easy prey.

As reprehensible as car dealers are, this one sold you a car that YOU bought.

Don't blame the dealer.

Eekamouse

Def not. I was taking the car seat and baby out the test drive vehicle to put back in mine. When he tricked me into buying by misleading me in the paperwork

absolutely.
Why are there special rules for single mothers? Are they different than other human beings?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They had a baby from a man they did not commit to forever and therefore they are alone and that makes them more sympathetic or pathetic.

quincy

They had a baby from a man they did not commit to forever and therefore they are alone and that makes them more sympathetic or pathetic.
Or the father of the child (perhaps a husband) died. There are more ways than one to become a single mother.

Not that being a single mom negates the responsibility to read carefully all legally-binding documents before signing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Or the father of the child (perhaps a husband) died. There are more ways than one to become a single mother.

Not that being a single mom negates the responsibility to read carefully all legally-binding documents before signing.
Or entitles them to special consideration.

quincy

Or entitles them to special consideration.
True. :)

That said, two researchers, while affiliated with Northwestern University (Meghan Busse and Florian Zettelmeyer), discovered that gender can matter when purchasing a car or getting a car repaired.

It was found that women were often quoted higher prices than men and could be persuaded into purchasing something neither requested nor required.

The differences disappeared when women were accompanied by men or when the women were armed in advance with car knowledge.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
True. :)

That said, two researchers, while affiliated with Northwestern University (Meghan Busse and Florian Zettelmeyer), discovered that gender can matter when purchasing a car or getting a car repaired.

It was found that women were often quoted higher prices than men and could be persuaded into purchasing something neither requested nor required.

The differences disappeared when women were accompanied by men or when the women were armed in advance with car knowledge.
I think we've known that for years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">