• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requesting Names of Companies I Interview with...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? North Carolina. The company I currently work for is laying off some people, me included. If you stay for the remainder of the period (October 1) you will receive severence. In my summary of benefits it says that they will allow "reasonable" time off for interviewing should I choose to do so.

I was not going to interview, I was going to wait it out and get the severence, however, there are two companies that called for interviews. I decided to at least go on the interviews, (there have been 4 interviews with the two companies total).

My question is this, where the company said it was OK to go, I went. Now they are asking me to provide them with the names of the companies I interviewed with. Do I have to give this information to them? I think that I should be entitled to a little bit of privacy. Your thoughts?

mlane58

What is the name of your state? North Carolina. The company I currently work for is laying off some people, me included. If you stay for the remainder of the period (October 1) you will receive severence. In my summary of benefits it says that they will allow "reasonable" time off for interviewing should I choose to do so.

I was not going to interview, I was going to wait it out and get the severence, however, there are two companies that called for interviews. I decided to at least go on the interviews, (there have been 4 interviews with the two companies total).

My question is this, where the company said it was OK to go, I went. Now they are asking me to provide them with the names of the companies I interviewed with. Do I have to give this information to them? I think that I should be entitled to a little bit of privacy. Your thoughts?
No you don't have to comply with their request, but don't expect them to let you stay on.

No you don't have to comply with their request, but don't expect them to let you stay on.
Would they not let me stay on because I won't give them the information? Even though they said it was OK to go and still get paid I have skipped several lunches so I've made up the time. I'm, not at all, trying to be difficult I just didn't think it was fair.

Thank you!

mlane58

Have you asked them why they want the names of the companies you are interviewing with? asking might give you some insight to the answer of your question.
Would they not let me stay on because I won't give them the information?

Have you asked them why they want the names of the companies you are interviewing with? asking might give you some insight to the answer of your question.
They said that they are trying to be consistent in asking people for this information. They want to be able to justify the time that we are taking during business hours to go to an interview. After speaking with a number of the people who are getting laid off, there are only a few other people who have been asked, and they all work for the same supervisor.

I understand what they are saying as far as justifying it, but I will keep my own list and if it seems like I'm "abusing" the situation then they have a reason to ask me for it. I just don't think right now that they do. Unless they are going to get the information from everyone.

Thanks for your help.

eerelations

Whatever you decide to do, keep in mind what a previous respondent has advised you - that while you are not legally required to provide your company with this information, your company may legally fire you - without severance pay - for refusing to do so.

mitousmom

Who in the company has asked for the information? Is the request coming from the supervisor? Have you informed the "they" you've been talking about, that it doesn't appear the everyone who is being laid off has been asked for the information?

Unless you think your company is somehow going to sabotage your efforts to find employment, I see no harm in providing the information. It may not be fair to ask you and not everybody, but life isn't fair. If it was, you won't be getting laid off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">