• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requiring use of personal phone(pda) for official duties as a condition of hire.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calisnowripper

TX, USA

My employer recently discontinued reimbursement of cell phone and data plan expenses to my department to cut costs. This is understandable, though unwelcome, of course. What raises the ethical hairs on the back of my neck is that my Director is now requiring, as a condition of employment (for new employees, not current ones) that employees acquire and use their personal mobile voice and data devices for official business.

When I say "use", I don't mean to keep them nearby to remain contactable. He will be requiring that we have smartphones and that we use them (and the required unlimited data plans) constantly throughout the workday to check the continual stream of emails that we receive.

The expense of these devices and their accompanying contracts will not be reimbursed.

In a nutshell, is requiring unreimbursed use of personal _________ for official business as a condition of employment legal?

CraigFL

Why not? I hire service people that are required to have 1000s of dollars worth of their own tools. My service people treat this as an unreimbursed work expense deductible on their taxes.

pattytx

Yes, it is legal. The only state that would require this be either supplied or reimbursed is California.

calisnowripper

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I had no idea how good I had it when I ran from the housing market in California a few years back. We had laws for everything, apparently.

While we're on the subject: Should he decide to, could my Director require we who are already employed to use our personal devices? Would it be changing the terms of our employment somehow?

Last edited:

pattytx

Not significantly enough to quit and get unemployment benefits, if that's what's behind your question.

Unfair? Sure.
Illegal? No.

Your coworkers' best bet is to unionize, but even that is a big iffy; there is no law in Texas to protect those who unionize. Membership in a labor union is not a protected class, like membership of a particular religious organization is, neither at the federal, nor Texas state levels.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">