• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Researching Court Decisions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FredK

I want to find out if there have been any court cases concerning a particular state code (e.g. Washington state code on "Boundaries and Plats"). I assume there is a database somewhere that can be used to research this. How do I go about finding the information?

When code is written or revised, are there typically notes available on the background information of why the code was written/revised (I am looking for the information on the intent of the code)?

What is the name of your state? WAWhat is the name of your state?

C

CALIF-LAWPRO62

FredK said:
I want to find out if there have been any court cases concerning a particular state code (e.g. Washington state code on "Boundaries and Plats"). I assume there is a database somewhere that can be used to research this. How do I go about finding the information?

When code is written or revised, are there typically notes available on the background information of why the code was written/revised (I am looking for the information on the intent of the code)?

What is the name of your state? WAWhat is the name of your state?

My response:

You have a couple of choices to locate and read the Statutes, Case Law and the Statutory Legislative Intent:

1. You can go to your local law library and do it "by hand", or

2. You can pay for a subscription to WestLaw or Nexus Lexus.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">