• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

residence ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Handymom

My ex and I split ownership in our residence, giving me permission to live in the house while the children were under 18 and still in school. The divorce papers say that he is to pay 1/2 of house payments and major repairs. He did until he remarried. He has not paid any on the housepayments or repairs in over 3 years and is living in his mom's house free while she is in the nursing home. I have paid all house payments, insurance and taxes for this time. Is there anything I can do? Someone told me they thought if he had not paid his share in 13 months, then I can legally have him removed from ownership. The same as not paying a bill for a car, etc. Does anyone know of a law about this or anything that can help me? It doesn't seem right that I should have to be making all the payments and repairs and he gets to retain part ownership (especially since this was not the agreement.)

O

Old & Stressed

From personal experience,if the home is still in both names and is going to sold when the children are 18, your ex-husband will owe you the money he is suppose to be paying you now. Therefore, the proceeds of the house will be divided 50/50 and out of his 50%, he will owe you the outstanding debt. If this is not the case, and you need the money monthly, you should contact an attorney. I am not an attorney, nor do I know if I am correct for your state. I am just trying to give you some ideas.
Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">