• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RESOLVED How to get a warrant to ping missing persons phone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DarkAlley

Colorado
How to get a warrant to ping missing persons phone?
MY nephew is missing since 11 am in the morning.
He is 35, living at my place waiting to go to rehab facility, he is an alcoholic.
This morning he stole my card and bought a lot of liqueur.
I called him, told him to come home he said he is coming.
But when I told him that I know he bought liqueur, he hung up on me.
He have not come home, it is 11pm and is freezing outside.
When he is under influence he does not act as a normal person.
He has no money, no id on him, no friends, nowhere to go.
Most likely, he is freezing outside while heavily intoxicated.
I searched for a couple of times during the day time, we also searched for a few hours right now.
The police refused to take a missing person report, even though I explained
that he has nowhere to go, heavily intoxicated.
They said since he has no mental diagnosis and is an adult they wont take report.
I said he has no mental diagnosis because he has no money for doctor visits.
I asked them to ping his cell which they refused to do.
Is there a way to obtain a warrant to ping his cell?
If not found right now - the man will be dead by morning.
It is Friday night. Is there a way to do this.
It is an exigent circumstance 100%
Please help.

quincy

Colorado
How to get a warrant to ping missing persons phone?
MY nephew is missing since 11 am in the morning.
He is 35, living at my place waiting to go to rehab facility, he is an alcoholic.
This morning he stole my card and bought a lot of liqueur.
I called him, told him to come home he said he is coming.
But when I told him that I know he bought liqueur, he hung up on me.
He have not come home, it is 11pm and is freezing outside.
When he is under influence he does not act as a normal person.
He has no money, no id on him, no friends, nowhere to go.
Most likely, he is freezing outside while heavily intoxicated.
I searched for a couple of times during the day time, we also searched for a few hours right now.
The police refused to take a missing person report, even though I explained
that he has nowhere to go, heavily intoxicated.
They said since he has no mental diagnosis and is an adult they wont take report.
I said he has no mental diagnosis because he has no money for doctor visits.
I asked them to ping his cell which they refused to do.
If not found right now - the man will be dead by morning.
It is Friday night. Is there a way to do this.
It is an exigent circumstance 100%
Please help.
You will not get a warrant to ping your nephew’s phone - and if your nephew has powered off his phone, it cannot be pinged anyway.

He has your credit card, correct? Perhaps he used it to stay at a motel?

Do you have online banking where you can check recent transactions?

I understand that you are worried. However there is little that the police can do at this point to find an adult who, for whatever reason, does not want to be found. I would try the bank suggestion (if it’s available to you) to try to track him down and continue trying to reach him by phone. And you can continue to call the police with your concern but, as I said, there is little that the police can do.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Colorado
No, there is not. Only law enforcement officials can apply to a court for a warrant, not private individuals. Moreover, law enforcement cannot seek a warrant for the purpose of simply pinging someone's phone to help a worried relative find a missing adult.

Adults who are not incompetent have the right to go where they please as long as they don't violate the law or trespass and have the right to avoid contact with friends and relatives if they wish. So there isn't a lot the government can do to assist you with this. He's got a cell phone and can call for help if he needs it. And he apparently has your credit card. So he's not without resources here. Don't assume the worst outcome here. He may turn up in the morning ok, though perhaps a bit chilly. At least in the Denver area it's not super cold tonight, about 36ºF, so above freezing. If you are up in the mountains, it'll be colder but he can still find places that have some heat.

adjusterjack

DarkAlley, did you report the stolen credit card to the police? That's a crime that might get them interested if you are willing to cooperate in prosecution.

My guess is that you aren't going to do that.

The sad thing is that you may have to resign yourself to the fact that whatever happens happens. He can't get help until he wants it.

DarkAlley

You will not get a warrant to ping your nephew’s phone - and if your nephew has powered off his phone, it cannot be pinged anyway.

He has your credit card, correct? Perhaps he used it to stay at a motel?

Do you have online banking where you can check recent transactions?

I understand that you are worried. However there is little that the police can do at this point to find an adult who, for whatever reason, does not want to be found. I would try the bank suggestion (if it’s available to you) to try to track him down and continue trying to reach him by phone. And you can continue to call the police with your concern but, as I said, there is little that the police can do.
Thank you for a quick response. I guess I cannot do much.
1. I deactivated the card immediately. Even if it was active he would not be able to use it. Because #3
2. He is an alcoholic, meaning super drunk since he got a hold of lots of liqueur.
3. When he is drunk, he does not function like a normal person
4. It is 1am now, he was out since 10am, drunk since 11am. He was not even properly dressed for the weather.
5. Most likely, he got frozen to death hours ago. it was like 49-44F all day, it is 30F now
6. All I can do is ask friends to do a neighborhood search tomorrow. To look for his body.
7. I guess I killed a human being today. By talking to him like to a normal person, when he was drunk already.
Yesterday I told him that he is going to freeze to death while drunk. I was trying to make him reconsider his life.
It will be a miracle if he turns out alive.

Thank you for reading this. Please pray for Max.

DarkAlley

Ok this one is resolved. He came back after almost two days outside. I am ordering tracking devices, installing a tracking app on his phone, gps magnets on my car and will try to send him out for a rehab program.
When you cops the most they are not of help. Have to rely on ourselves.

quincy

Ok this one is resolved. He came back after almost two days outside. I am ordering tracking devices, installing a tracking app on his phone, gps magnets on my car and will try to send him out for a rehab program.
I am really happy to hear that your nephew is now home and safe. I hope you impressed upon him how worried and scared for his safety you were.

Your plans as outlined, to prevent another night like you had last night from ever happening again, are good ones - especially getting Max into a rehabilitation program. I hope with treatment he will recover.

Good luck. And thank you for returning with an update.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I too am glad to hear that he returned home safely. All those are good things to try. The rehab especially, could be a life changer (and life saver) if he's willing to actually commit to it. Make your best efforts but despite those efforts he still ends up in a bad way or even ends up dying because of the alcohol do not blame yourself. He's an adult and responsible for his own life choices. And sometimes people simply make the wrong choices. You can't prevent every bad choice he might make.

quincy

The last two posts by DarkAlley were made within one minute of each other. I guess the nephew showed up while DarkAlley was posting. Just an observation.

It does not sound as if the nephew drove himself anywhere, hence DarkAlley’s increased concern for the nephew being outside, but making sure he doesn’t have access to a car registered in DarkAlley’s name is definitely a good suggestion.

There are several cases reported each year where people not in their right mind (due to drugs, alcohol, dementia) wander away from their residences in the winter and die from exposure. Some of these deaths are preventable. Many are not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">