• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order from CA registered in MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I can’t figure out the answer to this question, I’ve done a lot of searching online.

In California a permanent CIVIL Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO) will not go on your criminal record, because it’s a civil issue.

In Minnesota a CIVIL Order for Protection (OfP) (analogous to the Cali DVRO) WILL go on your criminal record! I have read multiple sources that say this.

My question is:

If I have a permanent civil restraining order against me in CA, but I now live in MN, will this show up on my criminal record? What if the DVRO is explicitly registered in MN? Will it be registered like an OfP and go on my record?

Thanks

Oh, and I am especially concerned about future background checks for employment, housing, etc...

Think I will run into problems...?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As I have said many, many times, not all background checks are created equal. What shows up on any given background check depends on who is ordering it and how deeply they check. Some may come up with it; others won't. Employment "background checks" can be as simple as confirming that your last job was where and when you said it was, or it can be a through as going back to see what grade you got in fingerpainting in kindergarten. There's no simple or single answer to your question.

As I have said many, many times, not all background checks are created equal. What shows up on any given background check depends on who is ordering it and how deeply they check. Some may come up with it; others won't. Employment "background checks" can be as simple as confirming that your last job was where and when you said it was, or it can be a through as going back to see what grade you got in fingerpainting in kindergarten. There's no simple or single answer to your question.
Thank you for the information.

Any idea about whether or not this could end up showing on my criminal record in MN?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. This could end up showing on your criminal record in MN. It may, it may not. But it could. READ my post.

Yes. This could end up showing on your criminal record in MN. It may, it may not. But it could. READ my post.
I did read it. I’m asking if it will be on my criminal record in general, not just with background checks. Your post was only about background checks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
One thing I can say for sure is it will appear, the same as a warrant will, if any type of name check/license check is done. It shouldn't matter what states are involved. If you are here in my state and I pull you over and run your name for a license check I will see the order and all of its details.

PayrollHRGuy

I find it hard to believe that in California, a state that hates firearms in general, wouldn't report a any sort of DV restraining order in order to add names to the NCIC list so firearms can't be sold.

Last edited:

quincy

I find it hard to believe that in California, a state that hates firearms in general, would report a any sort of DV restraining order in order to add names to the NCIC list so firearms can't be sold.
All states take domestic violence orders seriously.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I find it hard to believe that in California, a state that hates firearms in general, would report a any sort of DV restraining order in order to add names to the NCIC list so firearms can't be sold.
I think you didn't word this correctly. In any case, our OP wasn't specifically asking about firearms. However, I know that your point is that CA will likely report this to NCIC because of the prohibition on gun possession and ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">