• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retro Pay question after resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robnitro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

Hi,
I'm currently in a state agency where the union has not settled since 2008. It may go for another year or more to settle.

I was offered another position in a municipality and was curious as to what would happen with retro pay after resigning. I know that the recent NY city UFT contract caused issues for those who left because a lot of their retro is contingent on payments in the future (2020).

However, in general if one leaves a position before a contract is settled, are they entitled to retro pay for that period that they worked in the new contract??

Thanks for your help!

eerelations

Absent a contract, the answer would be no, the employer would not be required to pay you retro pay after you left. However, because you do have a contract, the answer will be spelled out there. If it's not in the current contract, it may be in the new one...but you'll have to wait for that one to find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">