• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retroactive Reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband is on his way to court as I type this for an "Establish Support" hearing that I have posted about before. However, we have a new question.

Little bit of background first... husband got custody of his kids in 2001 and the ex was ordered to pay support. Oldest child is now 20 years old, so the current order is only for younger child (although there are still arrears owed for the oldest child). Younger child moved back in with her mom in September. Husband and his exwife filed all necessary paperwork themselves, and came to an agreement on support ... all paperwork was signed and approved by the judge. Then came this notice to establish support. (Which doesn't make sense since the two of them agreed on what support should be, when and how it would be paid, etc.)

Well over a year ago (closer to 2, actually), his exwife got bit by a dog and needed surgery on her hand, which prevented her from working for a time. At the time, she just stopped paying support, without asking for a temporary reduction ... she just allowed the arrears to pile up, and is now $5000+ in arrears. Husband wants to know if exwife can now file for a retroactive support reduction, going back to the time of her injury. Is that possible?

I probably already know the answer to my next question (and I don't like the answer I think I know :rolleyes: but I'm going to ask anyway). It was brought to my attention just last night by husbands oldest daughter that exwife had applied for food stamps right after younger daughter moved back in with her, and that exwife was told the state would take a portion of her child suppor checks to recover the food stamp money. Exwife said "Well I'm not getting child support." Is that the whole reason for this establish support hearing? Even though the two of them came to an agreement? (The agreement was that husband would not pay support until February of 2007. Basically, they did a CS worksheet to determine what husband would have to pay exwife in support per month. Then took that amount into what she owes him in arrears, and came up with February of 2007 as being the time when her arrears would be 'paid up', and he would start paying her support until his daughter turns 18). At the time husband proposed this idea to exwife, she was ALL for it, as she had been cleared to go back to work, and CSEA had filed contempt charges on her for not paying her support. Their agreement stopped the contempt charge.

Sorry...didn't mean for this to get so long. :eek:

seniorjudge

I'm not sure I understand all this, but let me just say that the court (not the parties) will set the child support.

If you have any other questions, leave out the editorial comments and ask them more plainly.

seniorjudge said:
I'm not sure I understand all this, but let me just say that the court (not the parties) will set the child support.

If you have any other questions, leave out the editorial comments and ask them more plainly.
Sorry. :eek: Ok ... first question - I know the exwife can file for a retroactive support reduction based on her injury and inability to work ... but what are the chances she would be granted the retroactive reduction (going back almost 2 years to the time of her injury)?

Second question - Even though husband and exwife agreed on the support issue, and even though the judge signed the CS paperwork (indicating that he also approved of the CS agreement), is CS now trying to change the signed agreement (via the establish support hearing) because exwife applied for food stamps, and is not currently getting child support due to the previous agreement?

seniorjudge

Q: first question - I know the exwife can file for a retroactive support reduction based on her injury and inability to work ... but what are the chances she would be granted the retroactive reduction (going back almost 2 years to the time of her injury)?

A: I have never seen a retroactive reduction in child support; but I have no way of knowing what the chances are here of it happening.

Q: Second question - Even though husband and exwife agreed on the support issue, and even though the judge signed the CS paperwork (indicating that he also approved of the CS agreement), is CS now trying to change the signed agreement (via the establish support hearing) because exwife applied for food stamps, and is not currently getting child support due to the previous agreement?

A: Yes; child support agencies like to ignore court orders. Again, I have no idea what will happen here.

Sorry...I haven't been much help, but I can't answer "crystal ball" questions.

Thanks seniorjudge. I like to think that I'm "up to speed" in the child support / custody /visitation laws in my state (been dealing with all of the above for 12 years in one way or another) ... but sometimes I can't find even a "semi-answer" to questions I have.

child support agencies like to ignore court orders.
Yes, I know ... but in the end, the court has the final say anyway (I don't know if all states work the same way, but here in Ohio, all CS documents go through the judge and must be signed by him) ... and it's irritating when the parties agree on something, and the judge gives the agreement his "OK", and then CS jumps in and screws everything up.

mom22boyz

In Ohio if the CSEA is involved, you always have the opportunity to appeal their decision via 1) an Administrative hearing and 2) a Court hearing. Just make sure that if the response DH gets from the CSEA is not appropriate, that he files for a hearing right away. I beleive you only have 14 days from receipt of the judgement to appeal the decision.

I dont think it's so much that the CSEA is ignoring the court decision it just that they cannot legally include non-standard agreements in their calculations. They do not have the authority to deviate from Ohio's Standard Guidelines, so they proceed as if none exist. It seems really silly to me, but I believe it is an attempt to avoid CSEA making "deals" that they have no authority to make. They have the legal obligation to attempt to recoup state funds being paid to Ex in the form of CS paid by your DH, so that is what they are trying to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">