• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return policy on defective item. Do I still have options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Just 19 days ago, I bought a new receiver for a home theater system at Best Buy after buying a TV from them just a couple days prior. It wasn't until last night while trying to hook up a VCR to one of the 2 analog inputs that we discovered that there is no audio output from that connection. I double-checked this by connecting it to the other input, and also trying a different device. Best Buy has a 15 day return policy, and it has now been 19 days. I figured we're screwed, but then I was doing some looking online and have found that consumers have more rights when they buy items with a credit card, which is what I did.

So, how does this work? I couldn't find any real details about it other than a suggestion of disputing it with the credit card company. Does anyone here know about this and how it works? I've only recently started using credit cards, so I'm not familiar with how they allow people more rights than if they pay by cash.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Just 19 days ago, I bought a new receiver for a home theater system at Best Buy after buying a TV from them just a couple days prior. It wasn't until last night while trying to hook up a VCR to one of the 2 analog inputs that we discovered that there is no audio output from that connection. I double-checked this by connecting it to the other input, and also trying a different device. Best Buy has a 15 day return policy, and it has now been 19 days. I figured we're screwed, but then I was doing some looking online and have found that consumers have more rights when they buy items with a credit card, which is what I did.

So, how does this work? I couldn't find any real details about it other than a suggestion of disputing it with the credit card company. Does anyone here know about this and how it works? I've only recently started using credit cards, so I'm not familiar with how they allow people more rights than if they pay by cash.
First, have you gone back to Best Buy or called them? The 15 day policy may only apply to returns of non-defective items. (For example, if you changed your mind.)
If they won't help, call your credit card company and speak to them.
You could also contact the manufacturer for instructions on replacing a defective unit.

ETA: Generally, consumers have more options when they pay with a credit card company based on their contract with the credit card company.

First, have you gone back to Best Buy or called them? The 15 day policy may only apply to returns of non-defective items. (For example, if you changed your mind.)
If they won't help, call your credit card company and speak to them.
You could also contact the manufacturer for instructions on replacing a defective unit.

ETA: Generally, consumers have more options when they pay with a credit card company based on their contract with the credit card company.
Not yet. First of all, it's my dad's receiver and I just used my CC to pay for it since my card give me reward points. I'll see my dad in about a half hour to see what he wants me to do, if anything. Right now, I'm just trying to research what options there are. As for the return period, I went on the Best Buy site to see about their return policy and all I could find is that they have it at 15 days. They don't seem to differentiate between unwanted and defective items.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Go to Best Buy. Talk to them. They are people, managers can make exceptions. Do it soon - like today.

adjusterjack

While you are at it, read all those documents that the credit card company sent you when you got the new card. All the instructions are in there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">