• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights as sibling co owner of inherited house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HavertownGuy

I co-own an inherited home in pa.

My sibling says that without their permission, I can't display a political sign on the property. I live in the house, they do not.

Do I have the right to display my political sign?

I'm concerned that if I need their permission for this, where does it end? Holiday decorations? Landscaping?

I feel like I own a home, but have none of the rights or privileges of ownership.

LdiJ

I live in the house, they do not.
You do not need their permission to display a political sign or do anything else that doesn't devalue the property. You both have equal rights where the property is concerned. Neither one of you have veto power over the other.

LdiJ

Are you paying your sibling half the market rent value for living in the house?

If not, you should be, and I'm guessing that might be where the hostility is coming from, that you live rent-free. It's not the sign.
I don't agree with that at all on a legal basis, and on a moral one I would only agree if the sibling is covering half of the expenses that a landlord would normally have to cover. Mortgage, property taxes, homeowner's insurance, maintenance etc. If they both rented it out to a stranger their net from the rental would be the profits after expenses. The sibling who doesn't live there doesn't deserve to get half of what market rent would be without being responsible for half of expenses on either a legal OR moral basis.

zddoodah

My sibling says that without their permission, I can't display a political sign on the property. I live in the house, they do not.
Are you unaware of your sibling's gender?

Do I have the right to display my political sign?
Yes.

However, your sibling, as a co-owner, has the right to remove your sign or to display his/her own signs.

Sounds like you would be wise to put an end to this co-ownership situation by trying to buy out your sibling or selling your interest to him/her or by filing a partition lawsuit. Alternatively, you could propose a contract whereby you pay your sibling half of the net fair market rent in exchange for exclusive possession and you having responsibility for all ownership related expenses.

LdiJ

Are you unaware of your sibling's gender?

Yes.

However, your sibling, as a co-owner, has the right to remove your sign or to display his/her own signs.

Sounds like you would be wise to put an end to this co-ownership situation by trying to buy out your sibling or selling your interest to him/her or by filing a partition lawsuit. Alternatively, you could propose a contract whereby you pay your sibling half of the net fair market rent in exchange for exclusive possession and you having responsibility for all ownership related expenses.
Once again, that would be a very bad deal for the OP. He/she would be far better off buying the property than paying any kind of rent. Even if the rent were to be only 50% of any valid profit that wouldn't allow for major maintenance issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">