• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights regarding condo/common law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ocnjgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello! I lived with my ex for 13 years, and moved out 10 years ago. During our relationship, he paid the majority of bills because he made much more than me, and also supported me through school (although I paid for school). My contributions to the household (financially speaking) were things like buying food, things for the home, etc, as well as bills that were mine alone (like my car payment, insurance, etc). Because of all that and also guilt about leaving, I left with nothing more than the clothes on my back and have never asked him for anything.

2 years before I left we bought a vacation condo. Because he had just started his own business, he was denied a mortgage under his name alone, so I had to put my name on the mortgage, and it is also on the deed. Even now in this economy, the condo has almost tripled in value since we bought it. My ex alone has paid the mortgage (I bought all the furniture for it, which he still has and uses). Recently, he came to me and asked me to take my name off it. I was going to, but in talking to people they told me I shouldn't, that because he tripled his investment due to my signing for the condo (and I did carry the risk of him defaulting on my credit all these years, although he has always paid on time) that I am entitled to some of the appreciation should he ever sell and that I would be foolish to sign away my rights to it. What is the right thing to do?

Thanks for reading, I tried to condense as much as possible!

ecmst12

Tell him you will be happy to let him buy out your half of the equity. And hire a real estate attorney to handle the transaction.

ocnjgirl

Well, I didn't ask for any amount at the time, I kind of half-heartedly said I thought I should get "something". He was not angry, but very taken aback by my saying that, he honestly didn't see why I thought I should have any of it since he paid the down payment, mortgage, condo fees, and taxes (he does get the deduction, though). Because I still feel some residual guilt about breaking up with him and because he was always pretty good to me, his surprise instantly made me feel like I was a gold digger or something, and I wasn't sure if I really did have the right to any of it. We both stammered a bit then let it drop (we are both avoiders, which explains why the R fell apart). This was about a year ago and he hasn't approached me again about taking my name off since then, but I am at an age where I can't afford to just let things take care of themselves anymore without addressing them actively, but I'm not sure enough of where I stand legally (or about what I actually deserve) to be able to stand firmly about it in talking to him. Thank you for your response!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">