• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped off, should I go to small claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zachwagner

What is the name of your state? ohio

I paid a person to perform work on my car. It was an individual, not a business. He did not put the parts on, he returned them to autozone. I have copies of receipts showing he returned them, they are signed by him.
I also have two letters from different shops saying that he was supposed to put them on, and did not.

This happened last year around this time. I have continued having problems with him. A few months ago, he tried to block me in while I was driving, jumped out of his car with his buddies and tried to jump me. I called the police, they couldnt do anything because no assault took place.

Last Saturday, I was driving to make a delivery (I work at Dominos). He and two other guys were standing in the street near the house I was going to. I didnt recognize it was him, so I thought it was the customer. I slowed down and got ready to get out of the car, he tried to open the door and was trying to punch me through the window. Called the worthless police again, and was again told there was nothing they could do.

He has no "real" job, he repairs cars and works on houses. What all could I collect in damages? The parts were $150, I paid him $150 for the work. Can I collect any more? I want to make his life COMPLETE AND TOTAL hell in anyway possible.

Should I even go to court? Given my evidence, I would think I would win the case, but after the previous experiences with the judicial system, I have my doubts.

jazzminderas

Get a lawyer.

If you decide to take any type of legal action and don't know a lawyer it will cost money. I would try to get public representation (although i dont know that this is an option) but get a restraining order and harrassment seems to have taken place. I could have told you that police are completely ****ing useless!!!!
I'm sorry you have to deal with this type of ****. Hopefully you can find someone to help you. Goodluck!

BelizeBreeze

If you decide to take any type of legal action and don't know a lawyer it will cost money. I would try to get public representation (although i dont know that this is an option) but get a restraining order and harrassment seems to have taken place. I could have told you that police are completely ****ing useless!!!!
I'm sorry you have to deal with this type of ****. Hopefully you can find someone to help you. Goodluck!
You're funny. Just what the hell are you talking about with this 'publich representation' ????:rolleyes:

zachwagner

I dont think it would make sense to spend $500 or more on a lawyer, for a small claims court case of less than that.
Not sure about public representation, I dont think that public pretenders do civil stuff.

Would it even be worth my time going to small claims court? Would I ever be able to collect the money, if I win?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">