• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Room mate never moved in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shewtinstar

I am the sole signer of a lease for a home in Florida. I rent out bedrooms in the house to help pay the rent. I had one gentleman who paid to rent one of the rooms for one month and also paid a half month security deposit. He read all the rules to the house, one of which stated that a month's notice would be needed when they are moving out of the house. He called the day after he was here to pay for the room and told me he would be moving out at the end of the month. He informed me that he probably won't even move in....yet he has not returned to give my keys back or pick up his money. That phone call was made Nov. 1st. I turned away two other potential renters because this other guy rented the room. No agreement was signed. Is he liable for the room for the month that he paid, or can I rent the room to someone else and give him all of his money back? Or.....is he liable on a dialy basis until he returns my keys?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

contact him , tell him you have another party interested in the room and would be willing to refund money prorated to how quickly your able to get keys back and the other party pays you. Plan on asking the owner for written consent to change the locks and if the first one wants money back then they can get in touch with you. back it all up in writting sent to the first ones last known address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">