• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate not on lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JETX

"So you do not think I should worry about the wall part since it was his choice to move..."
*** Yep. His choice, his loss (unless there was an agreement otherwise).

"I feel it's like moving into my house and adding a deck and then deciding to move at free will and wanting to take half the deck with... Is my reasoning off, here?"
*** Nope. On target.

1drained04

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Everything lines up. I just needed that "reason check". REALLY, REALLY appreciate it.
Have a great Saturday.

S

squeak_D

You have to be careful in situations like this... If you're going to have someone else living with you (especially on a long term basis), ALWAYS have them included on the lease. This will save you a lot of trouble in the end. So many tenants make this mistake. However, it is also the landlords decision. You see when they rent an apartment to you..., they agree to rent to you (yourself), not you and your friends or anyone else you choose to have stay with you. Tenants can also be evicted for this (if it's stated in the lease)....

Squeak

1drained04

I appreciate your cynicism; however, “subletting” a room in NYC is VERY common and my lease does allow for it. NYC does not and cannot stop someone from living with you. The terms you set are up to the leaseholder, which in this case is ME. Also, since not just anyone can get into certain buildings and if one has bad credit (in case my loser roommate that I trusted), you would certainly be turned away and your apartment would be given to someone who is better off credit wise. Thus, I had to be the one on the lease in order to obtain the rights. In this case, it works out best this way as he does not have any rights to this apartment and I’m the holder of the funds and he is technically not entitled to.

S

squeak_D

Well that's good then.. If they allow you to sublet in the lease that's all you need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">