• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommates possesions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MelPurvis

I live in Pa. A friend of mine was evicted from his apartment and I allowed him to move in with my family (I own a house). I charged no rent but he did give my wife about $60 a week (I was unaware). He lived with us for approx 3 years, worked nights and kept to himself. I was out of state when my wife called, she had entered his room to put away clothes he had left in the bathroom and found garbage piled 4ft deep and crawling with roaches. When I returned I made him move out. He left most of his belonings. (TV's, Stereo's, Clothes) Some items I put outside and stored some in my basment. It is now three years later and I am still waiting for him to remove these items. Some things got damaged in a flood. I dried them but they are damaged. What are my responsibilities concerning his property? Can I sell or otherwise dispose of these things? I have asked him to pick up his property but he does not respond.

JETX

Though you could very probably claim that the property was abandoned, you can protect yourself against future claims by sending a certified (RRR) letter to his last known address. Detail what property was left and the date. Demand that he contact you within 30 days from receipt to arrange removal of his property and that if he fails in contacting you, the property will be assumed abandoned and any future claims will be forfeited. Further, the abandoned property may be disposed of or sold as appropriate and any proceeds used to offset the cost of sale and/or storage.

Then, send the letter and wait the allotted time. If no response (and I am sure there won't be), handle accordingly. Also, keep a copy of ALL correspondence and an inventory list.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Great suggestion by Steve, and I suggest that you follow his instructions to the letter.

However, that's not why I'm writing. The reason is because I noticed your name. You have a fairly famous name from history(assuming that it is your name, of course).

You see, Melvin Purvis was the Sheriff who tracked down, trapped, and riddled Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow (better known as, simply, Bonnie and Clyde), with machine gun bullets, because they were two of the most notorious "gangster" bank robbers of our Depression Era in the United States.

The son of a prominent family in Timmonsville, S.C., Purvis had stepped into the Chicago office of the Justice Department in time to meet a storm of kidnappings and killings.

John Dillinger and Bonnie and Clyde were probably the most noted.

A headline in the May 23, 1934, Salisbury Post read: “Criminal Careers of Clyde Barrow and ‘Moll’ Ended.” The story went on to say:

“The eight-year trail of murder and robbery of Clyde Barrow, dangerous bandit of the Southwest, was ended today beside Bonnie Parker, his woman companion in crime, in a hail of bullets from a sheriff’s posse, 50 miles east of here (Shreveport, La.) and near the town of Gibsland.

“Both the man and woman were killed instantly, before they could fire a shot, and their bodies and automobile were riddled with bullets. They drove into a posse’s ambush arranged by the former captain of Texas Rangers, Frank Hamer, who had followed Barrow’s trail relentlessly.

“With the posse heavily armed, hiding in the brush along the paved highway, Barrow’s car broke over the horizon racing at an 85-mile rate. As the car approached, an officer yelled ‘Halt.’

“Barrow and the woman answered by reaching for their guns and they were met by a fusillade from a dozen guns.

“Bonnie Parker died with her head between her knees and a machine gun on her lap. Barrow slumped behind the steering wheel with a revolver in his grip.

“The automobile careened from the road and smashed into an embankment. The officers continued to fire until the car virtually was shot to pieces and the bodies were riddled.

“The bandit’s trail was picked up this morning by Hamer and three Texas Ranger associates in Bossler Parish, where Barrow was reported to have relatives residing. They followed the bandit car to Bienville Parish, where the Rangers were joined by Sheriff Henderson Jordan and a staff of deputies.

“The officers got ahead of the bandit car and lay in waiting until Barrow ran his car into the ambush.

“Barrow and his companion, famous as a woman cigar smoker, had led the officers in a wild pace over half a dozen states. Frequently they were cornered but either eluded their pursuers or shot it out. They replenished their funds by robbing banks and businesses houses.

“Barrow was wanted for a dozen killings and was regarded as one of the nation’s most dangerous killers, shooting at the bat of an eye and fleeing in fast automobiles.

“Bonnie Parker was charged by officers with participation in most of Barrow’s later crimes. Officers said she was as quick on the trigger as her associate and was just as elusive.”

Thanks for getting them, Sheriff Purvis.

IAAL

Last edited:

MelPurvis

Well Sir,
You have been the first to notice the name. No it's not my name I just use it as my E-nom de plume. But the colorful original G-Man is where I derived it.
Have a good Day:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">