• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RV purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John Baker

I purchased a 2012 Mirada 32,000 miles on it. I put $5k down. I bought it 3 months ago. Dealer contacted me today to inform me that I haven’t got my registration because the “true mileage” is unknown. (They did not provide, nor did d I sign, the legally required disclosure).
They said my options were:
1. Send it back to South Carolina (I’m in California) & have the previous owner sign an affidavit to the South Carolina DMV, blah blah blah. (Favorable outcome not guaranteed, plus 6 month wait time)
2. Sign the disclosure stating I accept the fact that the True Mileage is Unknown. ($5500 Service contract now invalid due to “branded title”
3. Give it back & they’ll rewrite the deal for something else.
Here’s the rub. I traded in a immaculate toy hauler (2015). The dealership lowballed the value to $13k. Retail is $21-$26k with my options. Dealership says that’s a done deal, so only my $5k back.
Trade has been sold out of state. Don’t know how much.

Can I hope for a favorable outcome?

adjusterjack

Here’s the rub. I traded in a immaculate toy hauler (2015). The dealership lowballed the value to $13k. Retail is $21-$26k with my options.
You gotta know that accepting the trade-in value of $13k is entirely on you and has absolutely nothing to do with the situation you find yourself in now. You could have and should have sold your toy hauler privately and then bought whatever you wanted.

Can I hope for a favorable outcome?
Probably not. Dealers always have the deck stacked in their favor.

However, there is one more option you can try. I don't guarantee anything but CA allows you to post a bond to get title and registration.

https://law.justia.com/codes/california/2015/code-veh/division-3/chapter-1/article-2/section-4157/

Check it out.

justalayman

Here’s the rub. I traded in a immaculate toy hauler (2015). The dealership lowballed the value to $13k. Retail is $21-$26k with my options. Dealership says that’s a done deal, so only my $5k back.
Ya lost me in the “only your $5000 back”. If you returned the RV and scuttled the deal you would be owed the $5000 down payment plus the money credited for your trade in $13,000) which is $18000.

pac72

isn't it on the selling dealer to provide all needed paperwork so the buyer can register their new purchase ?

adjusterjack

isn't it on the selling dealer to provide all needed paperwork so the buyer can register their new purchase ?
Sure.

But what if he can't or won't?

People do wrong to other people all the time and often with impunity.

That's why the aggrieved party in a breach of contract case is required to mitigate his loss.

John Baker

Sorry, $13k is what I owed on my trade. The dealership paid it off, +$600. That was part of the “get me into this nice $40k motor home with 32k miles” deal. Not the “get me a $40k motor home with a branded title & Unknown miles” deal.

HRZ

RIght now it seems you have an RV that's is not legally suitable for use due to a major whopping oversight by dealer /seller.

I just gotta suspect the true miles are quite a bit different than the odometer , otherwise why the fuss, and somebody knows the problem and is aware that willful rollback is a criminal adventure ....I don't know how to best play your poker cards ...but I don't think you need limit yourself to ones dealer suggests ...BTW. Who is financing this deal ?

John Baker

To add insult to injury, I received my registration today. States model year as 2011, not 2012 as it states in my sales contract.

John Baker

To add insult to injury, I received my registration today. States model year as 2011, not 2012 as it states in my sales contract.
I’m surprised the dealer was able to register it, but I guess they have their ways. Still, that’s two, in my opinion, major mistakes.

justalayman

If your congract states it’s a 2012 and it really is a 2011, that could allow a rescission of the contract. There are a few reasons it may not but unless such exception applies, you would have a right to rescind.

Now the problem would be that you would be required to return the vehicle to where you purchased it.

You would be due your deposit and any amount beyond your payoff of your trade in in excess of the allowed trade in value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">