• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary and time clock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Valentine Smith

FLorida: I am a salary employee. My manager has informed me that I have to now use the time clock to clock in for the day and out. Plus I must clock out for lunch. There reason is that they claim all salary employes that don't supervise 2 employes with 40 hours a week of each have to do this. I am suspicious as they haven't requested any other salary employes who fit this criteria to do the same. Is this true? Do I have to comply? Do they have to make the other comply? I don't mind doing it I just don't like to be lied to if that is the case and singled out for other reasons.
:eek:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law does not either require or forbid any employee from punching a time clock. It is entirely up to the company which employees, if any, they want to have do so. Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing illegal about requiring a salaried employee to punch a time clock; nor is there anything illegal about singling out which employees do so. The only caveats are that they cannot make the decisions as to who punches the time clock and who doesn't on the basis of race, gender or other protected group; and if the employee is legitimately classified as exempt they cannot base the employee's pay on the basis of what was stamped.

So yes, they can require you to comply and unless you have a VALID reason to believe that you are being singled out on the basis of your race, gender, national origin, religion and so on, they do not have to require any other employee to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">