• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Same Job - Different pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auntnana

What is the name of your state? TN

I work for the state through a university. A few months ago I was given a job audit because my duties have more than tripled and my job title/description no longer fit. After the audit, I was given a new title and job description but no more pay. However, the same job in other departments of the university pays twice as much. The university has a policy and here's what it says:
This compensation plan was developed to insure that employees are classified accurately and equitably paid in accordance with the complexities of their job duties. The plan is not an employee performance appraisal technique but a quantitave job evaluation instrument which offers a vehicle for:
a. providing a means of determining equitable rates of pay among employees
b. enabling the comparison of positions on the basis of job content and thus avoiding unfair differences in wages between positions and between departments for similar work
c. providing a solid foundation upon which a fair wage rate for a position can be determined in relation to the rate paid to all other positions

There were openings for my same job in two other departments and I applied for them. Both openings were listed at twice the pay I currently receive. I went so far as to interview for them and found out that the duties required in the other departments are in fact the same as mine minus all the IT and accounting work I do. I carefully checked the experience requirements and I have double the education and experience required so I know that's not an excuse they can use. I've had nothing but outstanding annual performance evaluations since I started 5 years ago so I know it's not a performance issue. Have used 3 sick days in 5 years so I know it's not an attendance issue.

About 2 months ago I called Human Resources and set up a meeting to discuss the situation. I got pawned off on an assistant who didn't want to listen to a word I said. Her explanation was "Those other jobs may have more requirements and that's just the way it is. Are we done?" I hadn't even told her the specifics of the jobs or the departments I was referring to.

What can I do? What I'm thinking of doing is to send a letter to the head of HR asking for an explanation in writing. I'd attach the job postings and also my current job description along with a copy of their own policy. But I don't know if that's the correct actions to take or if I even have a leg to stand on. Even my boss says it's completely unfair but he can't determine pay. He right about that, it comes from HR.

Any and all advice is appreciated. I've never had to deal with this type situation before so I'm at a loss.What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can ask for more pay or not rock the boat. Either way, you can also look for a new job :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">