• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared and Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am a 29 year old mom of 3 children living in Ohio.

My father, my best friend, passed away October 23rd 2012 suddenly with no will to be found. He suffered from asbestosis and died as a result( yes he already had a lawyer for that) . I was living with him for 5 years prior so when he passed I just stayed in the mobile home, I was on lease just not on title. The mobile home park is ok with it. My dad was divorced so I figured I was next of kin also he told me he wanted me to have the trailer and car and considering my older brother and sister can't be found i thought it was settled i had no knowledge of all this probate stuff. Before he passed he made me administer of his accounts but I guess not all of them because now I've ran into trouble. I thought my name was on title of his car but apparently it's not. I have now been driving his car for the past 5 yrs under his name only apparently and I've been renewing his plates online, keep in mind I was under his insurance policy before he passed so after he passed I just kept paying on the same insurance. Well I'm trying to finally go to probate and get the trailer in my name but in order to do that I have to track down my siblings and have them sign a waiver to waive their rights. So basically, I'm not really scared my siblings will do anything because the trailer and car combined are probably worth $6,000, though maybe they will and my kids and I will end up homeless, who knows!!!! but I need to get this stuff in my name asap as I don't want to be breaking any laws with the car situation and if I ever want to sell this stuff and move then it has to be in my name. Plus I actually might join up with his asbestos lawyer to try to fight for him more! What I'm scared of is jail time and getting into trouble....listen when I say I have never been in trouble, never been to jail, I'm a mom of 3 young children and ever since I talked to a probate lawyer yesterday at a free consultation he scared the crap out of me....i've been up all night crying scared I'm going to get a big fine, go to prison, and get a felony. I'm attending nursing school and it's the only vehicle I have but not only that, I'm scared how this will affect my future career! Scared if I go to jail or prison I'll lose my kids!

And I went onto huron county's probate court website and not even sure what forms to fill out! (Hence why I got help from a lawyer yesterday but all he did was scare me and told me it would cost me more to get this stuff in my name, his advice was to just leave it be.) Maybe he's right :(.

Please help me!!!! I'm so stressed and scared, I almost went to hospital last night over a panic attack!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't see that you're going to jail over anything. Of course, you're going to want to fix the insurance situation, since you've been lying to the insurance company for all these years. If you've never had an accident, or given the insurance any cause to dig deeper, then that's going to be a no-harm/no-foul situation, but you do need to correct it. As for the rest, you should consult with an attorney who can give you better advice than to just stick your head in the ground.

Well it's strange zigner, as I didn't think I was lying to anyone. My name was already on policy and she was aware of my father's passing...and she just kept me on insurance so??? And as far as consulting an attorney, yes I'm still calling around but only for free consultations.... I am completely broke and can't pay for one. That's why I came to freeadvice.com. I really hope you're right about me not going to jail. I'm still panicking over it all.

Thanks for your response.

Zigner

Frankly, I don't believe that you really thought that having an insurance policy in your dead father's name for 6 years was the proper thing to do. In any case, as I said, if you get this fixed, then it isn't very likely to be a problem.

You call up an insurance company and purchase an unowned auto liability policy. You probably won't be able to get a normal policy because you don't own the car.

Thank you times a million! Finally an answer! That's probably what my agent already had me on because she knew of his passing I'm thinking but I will call anyways. Though I probably won't even drive car anymore until I get this stuff situated.

Zigner

That's probably what my agent already had me on because she knew of his passing ...
In your first post, you stated quite definitively that you were still on your dad's policy, yet here you say that you really have no clue what your insurance policy is. We can't help you if you can't take even the most basic steps to help yourself.

I'm not even going to respond to that stuff. I'm on here to get help, not to be made fun of and argue. I'm obviously emotional, look at the crap I'm dealing with. Zigner, I don't think you read my first post correctly you might want to read it again
I said I was ON MY DAD'S POLICY.

Zigner

I'm not even going to respond to that stuff. I'm on here to get help, not to be made fun of and argue. I'm obviously emotional, look at the crap I'm dealing with. Zigner, I don't think you read my first post correctly you might want to read it again
Yes, you said you were on your dad's policy and that you simply kept paying it for 6 years. Now, you say that you don't even know what your policy is for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said I didnt know what my policy was for sure, you just questioned it and said you didnt believe me. Anyways I was all worked up while posting and now I'm even more worked up. Thank you for that.

PayrollHRGuy

We all read that but your father died 6 years ago and the policy is not valid because of it.

We all read that but your father died 6 years ago and the policy is not valid because of it.
Well then take that up with my insurance agent because she knew my dad passed and kept the insurance in my name since I was already on policy..... but you know like I said im done driving the car because of the plate thing anyways so I canceled the insurance last month.

Is anyone going to me or just make me feel stupid?

Well then take that up with my insurance agent because she knew my dad passed and kept the insurance in my name since I was already on policy..... but you know like I said im done driving the car because of the plate thing anyways so I canceled the insurance last month.

Going to help* me

Just Blue

Now I know why your father was your best friend. :(

BTW...I'm very sorry for your loss. Please look in to grief therapy ...it does really help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">