• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school board policy violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunny03

What is the name of your state? MO
How binding is local school board policy? My daughter has the highest GPA in her graduating class but another student has been named co-valedictorian for subjective reasons. The school board policy clearly states the final selection is not made until the completion of all 8 semesters (this decision was made at the April board mtg). The policy also says co-positions will be rewarded only in the event of identical gpa's. When this was discussed at the board mtg., we found out about it after the decision was made and the other girl had already been told she would be co-valedictorian. Now they say they can't go back on that. My daughter feels the school has let her down because she earned this honor and the other girl didn't. Other students and teachers also think it is unfair and a violation of school policy.
What can be done when a school board obviously breaks their own rules?
If you have any input, please email me asap. Graduation is Friday.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sunny03 said:
What is the name of your state? MO
How binding is local school board policy? My daughter has the highest GPA in her graduating class but another student has been named co-valedictorian for subjective reasons. The school board policy clearly states the final selection is not made until the completion of all 8 semesters (this decision was made at the April board mtg). The policy also says co-positions will be rewarded only in the event of identical gpa's. When this was discussed at the board mtg., we found out about it after the decision was made and the other girl had already been told she would be co-valedictorian. Now they say they can't go back on that. My daughter feels the school has let her down because she earned this honor and the other girl didn't. Other students and teachers also think it is unfair and a violation of school policy.
What can be done when a school board obviously breaks their own rules?
If you have any input, please email me asap. Graduation is Friday.

My response:

File an immediate injunction in Superior Court! This MUST be stopped. My God, it's horrible. Completely horrible!

IAAL

HomeGuru

The podium is not big enough for 2? You are teaching your daughter excellent values. Maybe she could grow up and be a politician.

S

sunny03

board policy violation

So you don't think a school board should enforce its policies? OK
Today the board breaks the rule regarding selection of valedictorian. What tomorrow?
Maybe you think the valedictorian issue is trivial. It's not to my daughter who earned it. But the bigger issue is compliance to board policies.

djohnson

What were the reasons on this decision? I'm sure they are subject to change. If you have anything it will be on what motivated this change.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: board policy violation

sunny03 said:
So you don't think a school board should enforce its policies? OK
Today the board breaks the rule regarding selection of valedictorian. What tomorrow?
Maybe you think the valedictorian issue is trivial. It's not to my daughter who earned it. But the bigger issue is compliance to board policies.

My response:

What you don't seem to understand is that your "problem" is not a "legal" problem. It's an internal policy problem. We have no control over an internal Board situation. If they want to vote on something that you don't agree to, then that's tough. The school makes the rules.

If you feel that there's a law that's being violated, then do as I have told you - - file for an Injunction to immediately stop the graduation. Go through the cost. Go through the expense. Then, watch how your daughter, little Julie, and you, Julie's mother, become "vilified" in the school.

There's nothing we can do for you from Cyberspace.

IAAL

S

sunny03

Exactly my point. The Board makes the rules. Board-adopted policies are required by the state. They can't be changed on a whim no matter what the issue is.
Someone with legal expertise in this area, what do you think? Is school board policy binding?

HomeGuru

sunny03 said:
Exactly my point. The Board makes the rules. Board-adopted policies are required by the state. They can't be changed on a whim no matter what the issue is.
Someone with legal expertise in this area, what do you think? Is school board policy binding?
**A: We have legal expertise in this area and yes the school board policy is binding.

Y

yomama

Do you mind saying at which high school this is happening? I, too, feel this is an injustice to your daughter and would like to see if I can find any information for you. This isn't any different than if, say a bride is standing at the altar on her wedding day and her maid of honor has on the identical wedding gown as the bride does. This is the BRIDE'S day, not the maid of honor's, and she shouldn't have to 'share' the attention with anyone. That's just my opinion on the situation. Why can't the other girl be appointed Salutatorian? This whole thing sounds so ridiculous. I don't know if you have enough time at this point but I hope you can find some information that will help you with this situation. Your daughter EARNED this honor and deserves to enjoy it and not share it with someone who didn't earn it.

enjay

Is it possible that there are extenuating circumstances? Is the other girl a leader and someone who has contributed much to the school while your daughter has not? I'm not trying to be mean, but I am trying to demonstrate that grades aren't everything and perhaps they wish to honor the other girl as well because she is the total package and is someone admired by the student body.

It's my personal (not legal) opinion that you should teach your daughter to have the grace to accept being "only" a co-valedictorian. Otherwise, this entire experience will do nothing but sully her reputation. Does she really want to be remembered by her class as being the whiner who couldn't share?

djohnson

I think there is more to the story than what has been said so far. If not the question would have already been answered as to why they were doing this.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, hell - we just had a similar case here in NJ where the kid and her parents sued the school. The court ruled that she'd be the only valedictorian. Spoiled rotten little kids and their spoiled rotten rich parents.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We had a case near me, too, but in that case the one girl was told that the second girl was going to be valedictorian INSTEAD. No, as well.

I'm sorry, I'm trying very hard to be sympathetic and I know this is the most important thing in the world to your daughter right now, but honestly I don't even remember who was valedictorian when I graduated and I care less. If, like the case I referred to, your daughter was being replaced I could see making a fuss, but I just can't see it under the circumstances. Believe me, by the time she finishes college and/or has been out on her own in the business world for a little while, whether she was the sole valedictorian, one of co-valedictorians or valedictorian at all, will just not be the ruling factor in the world. It's not going to affect college decisions at this point and I promise you that no employer is going to ask or care about this issue.

I don't mean this to be rude or uncaring, but there are more important issues to worry about.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Agreed, cbg. And our valedictorian was one of my friends. But I can't for the life of me remember which it was. 'Cause it just doesn't really matter. Colleges might care if you were top 5% or top 10% - but not if you were valedictorian. And once you're out of college? Prospective employers could care less what you did in high school.

S

sunny03

Thank you for all of your replies. I apprecitate the advice, although all have not been sympathetic.
In response to enjay and momma_tiger:
Actually, my daughter is the Student Council president, was the class president the past three years, and captain of the varsity basketball team. She has proven she has leadership qualities.
You may think, then, why the big deal with sharing the honor of being valedictorian. It's because she worked hard for that too and earned it. If it had been a tie, there would be no problem. The other girl would have earned it, too. In that case, nothing would have been said and we would not have wanted to take anything away from this girl.
But the decision is a violation of board policy.
In addition, the spoiled rich kid in this case that got her way was the other girl, whose parents influenced board members to make a subjective decision.
I have been a devoted school employee here for 20 years who receives excellent evaluations every year. I also willingly do more than my position requires. Guess that doesn't count for much in small town policitics.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">