• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School bus driver left the bus while kids on it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnusa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass

The school bus came to pick up the students this morning. After the kids got on the bus, the driver opened the door and got off the bus. He walked to another car and talk for about a minute, then he went back to the bus.

Can he do this? Can he leave the bus while the kids are on it? Should I report it?

Thanks.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass

The school bus came to pick up the students this morning. After the kids got on the bus, the driver opened the door and got off the bus. He walked to another car and talk for about a minute, then he went back to the bus.

Can he do this? Can he leave the bus while the kids are on it? Should I report it?

Thanks.

Yes.

Yes.

It's up to you.

Since you have no idea why he did that, and the kids were obviously not harmed I have no idea what you'd want to accomplish?

Mass_Shyster

I'll go with yes, yes, and yes.

Driver is being paid to keep your kids safe, not leave them unattended. If he had a good reason for doing what he did, let him explain it to his boss.

Perky

I'd rather be boiled in oil than drive a school bus. <<shiver!>> :eek:
Ditto!

I do think the driver was wrong to leave the bus with children on board, especially if he left it running. I don't know if it's against the law (I'll look), but I would be surprised if it wasn't against the bus company's or school district's policy.

applecruncher

I'd rather be boiled in oil than drive a school bus. <<shiver!>> :eek:
Well, gee, thanks for sharing. But that doesn't address the OP's question.

OP/shawnusa - You should report it. At the very least, the driver will be talked to. Thankfully no one was hurt, but a school bus driver should not leave the bus unattended - especially with the engine running. It's dangerous.

Perky

So?
OP/shawnusa - You should report it. At the very least, the driver will be talked to. Thankfully no one was hurt, but a school bus driver should not leave the bus unattended - especially with the engine running. It's dangerous.
Nowhere did OP say that the engine was running.

justalayman

If the bus was running, report him.

If it wasn't, I don't see a problem at all. It's not like he left them alone while he went into the bar or something. He was right near the bus so he could see if anything was happening.

applecruncher

So this isn't a chatroom about what jobs people would/would not like to have vs. whether they would like to be boiled in oil or water or whatever.

Nowhere did OP say that the engine was running.
So what? I didn't say the engine WAS running. I said bus should not be left unattended - especially IF the engine was running.

Since the OP didn't say whether or not the engine was running, you have no idea (unless you were there, which I doubt).

Isis1

So this isn't a chatroom about what jobs people would/would not like to have vs. whether they would like to be boiled in oil or water or whatever.

So what? I didn't say the engine WAS running. I said bus should not be left unattended - especially IF the engine was running.

Since the OP didn't say whether or not the engine was running, you have no idea (unless you were there, which I doubt).

I reread your entire post. Not anywhere in there did you use the word "if".

And you are not admin. You don't get to dictate how anyone responds. Not that SP gives a flying fig about your response anyway.

Proserpina

Oh.

It's only a chatroom for Ghostbusters.

My bad.

Proserpina

Before you edit.

You did NOT say "IF".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">