• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School closed, outstanding student loans...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I live and attended a school in the York, PA area that recently closed its doors while I was enrolled. I've been battling with them on the fact that they owe me money, and they've agreed. Apparently, they did in fact have a surety bond for this type of incident, BUT they were not adequetly bonded. I owe $5,000 that has been in deferrment for the last year while I filed all the complaints with necessary boards. I recently received a check for around $2,500 since they divided their surety bond amongst all students making a claim and that is what I ended up with. Since I don't officially have a student loan, I can not file for a loan forgiveness program and am responsible for the other half of the money owed. What are my options?
What type of attorney do I hire? Does anyone know one in the York, PA area?
Should I send in the check I have to the student loan servicing center? If so, do I give up any rights by cashing the check?


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential