• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school unfair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lealea1005

No wild assumptions here, I just read the post. I'm not denying the fact that the school should provide medical care to the students, but in this case it seems extreme for what a typical school would encounter.

I know plenty about the ADA, thank you. OP never once mentioned anything of the sort about a disability. If one is determined, it will be a different story and will also qualify the child for more intensive supervision at school.

As was posted earlier...
The hyperkalemia, alone, would qualify. The risk of potassium overload from not taking her meds exactly how they are prescribed, and not being permitted to carry water with her at all times, could cause a life threatening situation. The chronic gastritis and migraines could be secondary conditions caused by the hyperkalemia. If the school system utilizes licensed nurses with the proper training and experience, there shouldn't be a problem dealing with this child's situation. This would not be considered "extreme".

As advised above, I suggest OP start the process of obtaining a 504 plan for her daughter....like now. If she starts now, hopefully, the plan will be in place before the 09-10 school year (and if all the stars and moon align just right, maybe it could be in place before the end of this school year ;)).

Perky

Lealea is correct. One slight clarification... ADHD by itself does not usually qualify a child for an IEP, but since many students with ADHD also have a learning disability, those students will qualify.

Wyett, you would not have suggested this:
you might want to explore the possibility of hiring an aide to accompany your daughter to school to ensure that her needs are met.
or stated this:
OP never once mentioned anything of the sort about a disability.
or this:
I'm not denying the fact that the school should provide medical care to the students, but in this case it seems extreme for what a typical school would encounter.
or this:
That the school is not willing to become a nursing facility for this child?
if you knew anything at all about the ADA and school law.

Your reference to Humus' post did nothing to support your claims. Humus is correct that OP can ask for another placement for her child. She knows that the school is ultimately responsible for educating the child, and suggested legal options. Unfortunately, you don't understand that, and have offered nothing of value to help the OP.

dasaniaddict

Is Your Child In Special Education?

If not, then your child needs to be classified as a special education student in the health classification. That way, she can qualify for special medical services, such as an aide that will assist the regular education staff with her health needs. It would be impossible for the classroom teacher to deal with her.

Humusluvr

If not, then your child needs to be classified as a special education student in the health classification. That way, she can qualify for special medical services, such as an aide that will assist the regular education staff with her health needs. It would be impossible for the classroom teacher to deal with her.
NO!!! This child is NOT special education.

This child qualifies for 504.

The "504" in "504 plan" refers to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, which specifies that no one with a disability can be excluded from participating in federally funded programs or activities, including elementary, secondary or postsecondary schooling. "Disability" in this context refers to a "physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities." This can include physical impairments; illnesses or injuries; communicable diseases; chronic conditions like asthma, allergies and diabetes; and learning problems. A 504 plan spells out the modifications and accommodations that will be needed for these students to have an opportunity perform at the same level as their peers, and might include such things as wheelchair ramps, blood sugar monitoring, an extra set of textbooks, a peanut-free lunch environment, home instruction, or a tape recorder or keyboard for taking notes.
NOT AN IEP!!!

A 504 plan, which falls under the Americans with Disabilities Act, is an exercise in civil rights, an attempt to remove barriers and allow students with disabilities to participate freely. An IEP, which falls under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, is much more concerned with actually providing educational services. Students eligible for an IEP, or Individualized Education Plan, represent a small subset of all students with disabilities. They generally require more than a level playing field -- they require significant remediation and assistance, and are more likely to work on their own level at their own pace even in an inclusive classroom. Only certain classifications of disability are eligible for an IEP, and students who do not meet those classifications but still require some assistance to be able to participate fully in school would be candidates for a 504 plan.
A 504 plan would spell out what the school is LEGALLY obligated to do in order to facilitate this girl's education while dealing with her illness.

The school may come to the conclusion, through meetings with the mother, child, teachers, administrators, nurses, doctors, and other key players - that this child's needs are so severe that they can't be met in a normal school environment.

At that time, they may choose to place her in a homebound program.

Homebound is a temporary service for students who cannot attend school due to long-term illness. During the time your child is homebound a tutor will visit your home 1-5 hours a week to assist students with their assignments. For more information about homebound, ask to speak to the homebound coordinator at your child’s school.
Don't just guess here, guys. There are legalities to the situation!!!

The school is sending her home because they don't have the ability to care for her. Yes, you have provided them with medications and such, but that does not obligate them to keep her in school when she is ill. The frequency of the issues seems to be the concern; going to the nurses office at least 2-3 times per week is a significant problem for the nurse, but moreso for the child. Your daughter's medical condition is too severe for them to safely manage, as they do not have the resources to provide her with what she needs.
X2.

What if the school granted your request to keep her in school even with insufficient care to treat her, then hypothetically, she becomes very ill during school period. You'll be brining them into court the next day.

They would rather send the child home then be held liable.

wyett717

Lealea is correct. One slight clarification... ADHD by itself does not usually qualify a child for an IEP, but since many students with ADHD also have a learning disability, those students will qualify.

Wyett, you would not have suggested this:

Quote:
you might want to explore the possibility of hiring an aide to accompany your daughter to school to ensure that her needs are met.

or stated this:

Quote:
OP never once mentioned anything of the sort about a disability.

or this:

Quote:
I'm not denying the fact that the school should provide medical care to the students, but in this case it seems extreme for what a typical school would encounter.

or this:

Quote:
That the school is not willing to become a nursing facility for this child?

if you knew anything at all about the ADA and school law.

Your reference to Humus' post did nothing to support your claims. Humus is correct that OP can ask for another placement for her child. She knows that the school is ultimately responsible for educating the child, and suggested legal options. Unfortunately, you don't understand that, and have offered nothing of value to help the OP.
Thank you for your added uselessness. Of course the situation would be different if a disability was classified, which it very well could be. However, based on the original post, nothing has been initiated by mom or the school regarding a disablity issue. Until then, the school is responding appropriately to the child's severe medical condition that they are not equipped to safely manage.

Perky

Thank you, you're incompetent-ness.
Hmmm.... Just what are your qualifications for posting on this thread? Are you a lawyer? Are you a teacher or administrator? School nurse? Have you had a course on education law? Have you been involved in drafting a 504 plan or IEP?

I think not, while I have all of those qualifications with the exception of being a lawyer.

wyett717

You just really don't know what you're talking about.

Why don't you go back and read my posts, and try paying attention this time. I am not disagreeing with what everyone is suggesting, nor am I minimizing OP's concerns. We do not have any information about a 504 or any type of plan in place, which - as stated above - would make a difference. My point is in response to the information posted in the original thread, but I don't anticipate you will ever understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perky

Ooooh... I think I touched a nerve!

While each and every child deserves equal education opportunities, you have to realize that an elementary school is not a babysitting service, nor a doctor's office. Your average public school will make reasonable accommodations to provide for your child's medical concerns, but babysitting her all day to make sure she drinks enough water is not reasonable, and could be to the disadvantage to the other students. Based on your post, your daughter needs medical support which may be too intensive for the school to provide. You might look for a facility in your area that caters to medically fragile individuals. Or, you might want to explore the possibility of hiring an aide to accompany your daughter to school to ensure that her needs are met.
This post and the subsequent one told me all I needed to know about your ability to answer OP's questions. You made assumptions about the situation with absolutely no supporting evidence. Oh, and yes you did disagree with the advice. Go back and read your own posts so you'll understand.

wyett717

I have assumed nothing; I read what was written, as evidenced in my responses. I am counting my blessings that you are not my childrens' teacher/administrator/nurse/educational law expert/blah, blah, blah. Adios, loco.

Humusluvr

Why don't you go back and read my posts, and try paying attention this time. I am not disagreeing with what everyone is suggesting, nor am I minimizing OP's concerns. We do not have any information about a 504 or any type of plan in place, which - as stated above - would make a difference. My point is in response to the information posted in the original thread, but I don't anticipate you will ever understand that.

The original question was answered.

perroloco is a respected member of the forum. I take a lot of offense at you calling him names. He knows his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">