• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schools Private vs Public with religion.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi Guys. My ex has enrolled my daughters into head start beginning September 2nd. I really felt this is more of a daycare than "schooling" as she puts it. I dont even think its mandatory by the state of Texas. She gets it free so i think that was part of her decision.
She just had her new baby and my daughters are only 3. I really didnt think we would have any school issues til they were 4 or 5. Now I plan on sending my son to a private school when he is school age that is a non-denomanational. I grew up catholic but I dont feel I really feel all of what they pratice is correct and my wife is christian and I told her I would go to church with her instead. My ex has never felt a need for the church nor cared at all to finish school. Now I never thought about these things while I was in court in 2007 to just see my daughters and have them in my life. My ex would not let me see my children for a year and changed numbers & address's so many times. So what can I do if anything about our disagreement in the way our daughters go to school and what type of schooling? I want them to have a better education than what I feel they will get and thus far my ex lives with any boyfriend she has and I dont know if she will stay put. I hope she does. She already did not even talk to me about what she wanted to do. She just up and said hey they are enrolled at so & so. Im not trying to be difficult I just want as best as I can for my daughters. Does my wanting a private school with some type of religion for my daughters something worth asking for?

THANKS

Isis1

Hi Guys. My ex has enrolled my daughters into head start beginning September 2nd. I really felt this is more of a daycare than "schooling" as she puts it. I dont even think its mandatory by the state of Texas. She gets it free so i think that was part of her decision.
She just had her new baby and my daughters are only 3. I really didnt think we would have any school issues til they were 4 or 5. Now I plan on sending my son to a private school when he is school age that is a non-denomanational. I grew up catholic but I dont feel I really feel all of what they pratice is correct and my wife is christian and I told her I would go to church with her instead. My ex has never felt a need for the church nor cared at all to finish school. Now I never thought about these things while I was in court in 2007 to just see my daughters and have them in my life. My ex would not let me see my children for a year and changed numbers & address's so many times. So what can I do if anything about our disagreement in the way our daughters go to school and what type of schooling? I want them to have a better education than what I feel they will get and thus far my ex lives with any boyfriend she has and I dont know if she will stay put. I hope she does. She already did not even talk to me about what she wanted to do. She just up and said hey they are enrolled at so & so. Im not trying to be difficult I just want as best as I can for my daughters. Does my wanting a private school with some type of religion for my daughters something worth asking for?

THANKS

headstart is GOOD thing. not a bad thing. mom informed you. you have the right to object.

so mom wants child to be in a school enviorment for 3 hours a day. it's very educational. not just numbers and letters. but socializing. at a graduated rate instead of an all day school?

what is your argument for that? are you willing to pay for ALL private school tuition, provide ALL transportation? without cutting into mom's parenting time?

Last edited:

LdiJ

THANKS
A judge will not force a parent to pay for private school if the parent does not agree with private school or cannot afford it. A judge will sometimes order that the child go to private school if it does not disrupt the child's time with the other parent, and the parent who wants private school agrees to pay for it all.

Private schools can be very good, but some church related private schools are not accredited and sometimes are not very good.

Now, if mom moves around once or twice in the middle of every school year, once the child starts regular school, then you might have something to gripe about. However, Head Start is a really excellent program.

headstart is GOOD thing. not a bad thing. mom informed you. you have the right to object.

so mom wants child to be in a school enviorment for 3 hours a day. it's very educational. not just numbers and letters. but socializing. at a graduated rate instead of an all day school?

what is your argument for that? are you willing to pay for ALL private school tuition, provide ALL transportation? without cutting into mom's parenting time?
She says its from 8-2. I dont know about 3 hours day. Thats not this. I can pay but just as regular school she would of course be dropping them off when they have to go. I only get weekends at this point. I wanted to petition for every other thursday to monday since they are now 3 and would do it then but I have to wait to get to Texas(in a couple months) which would be befere reg school would start. She hasnt disagreed at this point but anything i try to involve myself she wont let me. even with medical stuff. Just as my ex would take them to public school or her bf it should not change if I pay for a private school. I dont see why but hey ya never know sometimes. But i try to ask her and she ignores me. I even asked for a list of what they needed. Another reason I worry about the head start is a health reason. As far as regular school yes I want a private school rather than a public.

The head start is not what I really was saying I wanted to be private since i havent heard of any but I meant for when they begin kindergarten/ 1st grade normally. I felt 3 was early to send off to "school" rather than 4 like it used to be but I can live with it. I was mainly worried about when they are ready for reg school and what I could do.

LdiJ

The head start is not what I really was saying I wanted to be private since i havent heard of any but I meant for when they begin kindergarten/ 1st grade normally. I felt 3 was early to send off to "school" rather than 4 like it used to be but I can live with it. I was mainly worried about when they are ready for reg school and what I could do.
Head Start is a positive thing whether they end up in public or private school.

Again, if you are willing to pay for private school and it doesn't negatively impact mom, and its an accredited private school, you may very well be able to prevail with that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Head Start is a positive thing whether they end up in public or private school.

Again, if you are willing to pay for private school and it doesn't negatively impact mom, and its an accredited private school, you may very well be able to prevail with that.
Unless mom disagrees with the religious aspect. Even if she is Christian she may not want her children attending a Christian school. And a court will not trump a parent's rights to have children in a RELIGIOUS private school.

LdiJ

Unless mom disagrees with the religious aspect. Even if she is Christian she may not want her children attending a Christian school. And a court will not trump a parent's rights to have children in a RELIGIOUS private school.
I think you meant to say "and a court will not trump a parent's rights to NOT have children in a RELIGIOUS private school.

That is why I used the word "may". Many parents would not really object if it didn't disrupt them and they didn't have to pay for it. However, the religious aspect could cause some parents to object and a judge would have to respect that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I think you meant to say "and a court will not trump a parent's rights to NOT have children in a RELIGIOUS private school.

That is why I used the word "may". Many parents would not really object if it didn't disrupt them and they didn't have to pay for it. However, the religious aspect could cause some parents to object and a judge would have to respect that.
Correct. I meant that a court would NOT order a child to be placed in a religious school over a parent's objections.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's pre-school. I don't see what the problem is. She has twin 3yo's and an infant. That's a lot for one person to take care of, so I can see why Mom may feel it would be good for the older two to go to pre-school, get some early educational stuff, get some socialization amongst kids their own age, etc. And... since you're complaining that Mom never "bothered" to complete HS, you should be happy that she's looking to help your daughters get a boost to their educations. I don't see any judge faulting her for that.

But I am amused that you intend to send your son to a secular private school, yet want your daughters to go to a parochial school. I'd hazard a guess as to the reasoning behind that, but I'd rather see you say it yourself. :rolleyes:

pittrocks

Preschool is a good thing.
Head Start is a great program.

If you want to push the religious school issue, be prepared to pay for it all yourself if in fact it is awarded, which is doubtful.

profmum

I disagree with how "great" Head Start vs private or even a public school, it is designed for the indigent (families and women whose income is below the federal poverty level).

Dad.. if you want a better school choice, conceede to a good public school or pay for private school yourself and keep religion OUT of the equation. If you have the means to get your kids a better education, exert your right to do but be prepared to pay for all of it and find a school that works for Mum as well. A good public school is a great option vs a pvt school for elementary school.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I disagree with how "great" Head Start vs private or even a public school, it is designed for the indigent (families and women whose income is below the federal poverty level).
Are you saying that because the program is for "poor" people it isn't good? What are you basing your "advice" on? Personal Experience? Stat's? Prejudice?

IMO, from my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and as a non-indigent mother, my daughter flourished in Head Start. She loved it and learned both social skills and a love of learning. She has PDD and HS along with the public school P-K programs helped her tremendously. She started school at 8 am and came home at 4:40 pm. A very full day that she enjoyed. She started the school year with a vocab of about 50 words (due to the PD) and by Christmas was speaking in full sentences with a vocab better than most adults. I thank God every day for the dedicated teachers at HS that helped my daughter so much.
My daughter was reading at a 3rd grade level by the end of that school year and was also successful in basic math.

I can't understand why any parent would object to this WONDERFUL program.

Last edited:

WittyUserName

I agree; Head Start is not "daycare" and it's not even worthwhile to compare it to a public/private school. Apples to Oranges, y'know? It's for kids ages three to five - which generally means kids too young to start public school anyway. And while the program targets low-income families, I can't imagine why anyone would think it was substandard educationally.

My child and her cousins attended, and none of the parents involved are indigent.

profmum

Are you saying that because the program is for "poor" people it isn't good? What are you basing your "advice" on? Personal Experience? Stat's? Prejudice?

Seriously you meant to say all school or educational programs are equal, period!!..stats show that schools in low income neighorhoods (for examples) have substantially lower national scores than schools in higher income neighborhoods. Yes, it is not the PC way to say things, bit it is reality. It does not take away from the kids who excel in these schools including your own.

We advice posters all the time about school choices based on ratings, scores, programs, fit for the child etc when two parents are battling it, why is this any different? Because the word indigent came into it?

Witty and OP put it best by saying, HS is not an issue now as it is pre kindergarten.. the issue OP wants is K-12..

If Dad wants private school, can pay for it, and keep religion out of the mix, he should have every right to try and see his child get that education.

My prejudice is that one has an obligation to give their children then best education possible. We need to get over our prejudice against private school as well..

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">